RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP StorageWorks x310 Data Vault

fblittle

Not sure if this is the best place for this thread, but I need to know if there is any possible way to output to a monitor on this, StorageWorks x310, machine? Can I use a External USB adaptor to output to a display with this box? I have never used USB Display hardware so I have no Idea if this would work.

I can get a real good deal on one of these boxes, but I don't know if it would be worth it on a totally headless system???

Also is it possible to put another motherboard into one of these boxes, like mini ITX with onboard graphics?

My other option is the HP ProLiant MicroServer N36L, but it is $100 more. I like the small form factor mini tower style of the Data Vault.

Storage Works x310 has an internal VGA port on its motherboard which can be made accessible with an adaptor. There are how-to's to build an adaptor yourself. Here in germany you can buy an adapter cable like this http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130543914865. Maybe anyone from the forums has a source where to buy it in the US.

If it's the same adapter that's used for the HP Media Smart Servers and Acer H340, it will cost between $50 and $100 and you will have to mod the case.

I would go with the proliant as when you add the cost of the adpater they are roughly the same cost.

PCDoc is right – when you factor in the cost of the adaptor (as well as the trouble to use it and Mod you X310) the ProLiant looks like a clear winner.

You can get a Proliant N36L for $320 or $325 (free shipping) at Newegg or for a little more a Proliant N40 for $350 (plus shipping)

Thanks.

Good Advice. I May buy a Proliant N36L or N40L. It's not as good looking, but it is nice, and more powerfull.