RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow Win 7 Backup

SJ

Hi, recently I have had an issue with the speed of my Win 7 desktop PC backup.

This is not a network issue as I run on a 1Gbps hard wired LAN.

When the backup starts the machine crawls to a near stop for no apparent reason, the backup will take well over 1 hour where previously it would perform this task in the normal 15 minute range.

My other PC

Have you looked at the Windows Event log to see if there are any errors showing up? How is performance? Do you have some 3rd part anti-virus or firewall?

Have you added anything recently? I had a problem similar to what you are describing and found that I was accidently backup a 40 gig encrypted volume that was constantly changing. Another words check to see what you are backing and for testing purposes, try excluding some of the directories from you backup. Start wih one or two folders and see if there is something in one of the folders. Also, run a chkdsk to make sure you do not have an issue with a drive. And lastly, I know you said it was not a network problem but run a benchmark using a large file and copy it to your server to make sure there is not something in your system. You should be getting 75+mb/s over a gig network.

I had a similar problem once. I resolved it by removing the connector, renaming my PC and then reinstalling the connector. Thus the PC is now showing up in the connector as a new one and the backups are now running as expected. After a month or two, I deleted all the old backups before the rename. I didn't like doing this, but it was the only way I could get it to work.

SJ, certainly sounds like you are bearing down on the problem. This is not your whole problem but your transfer speed is a bit on the slow side for 1 Gig hard wire. In comparison, a one gig file takes me about 13 secs. Not a huge difference but you are moving as much data as you are you might want to look at optimizing that in the future. In the mean time, keep us posted on how you make out with you problem. Good luck.