RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status Updates

ikon

UPDATE! I got the WHS2011 connector and HSS to install on Win8. I don't recall all the steps, but I do recall that there was some popup at the bottom of the connector download page that I had to make a selection correctly for it to install.

JerryW

V3.0 is coming soon. With it will bring many new features. Some you may feel is pointless, others you may welcome. Either way, these options will be there and has been brought to you by the requests of your peers. Here is a small list of what you can look forward to in v3.0 of Home Server Status:

• Better CPU utilization
  • Backup alerts can be sent to your iPhone, iPod, iPad, Email, or over the network for any computer using HSS
  • Simple Backup log for those using HSS
  • Automatic updates. Yes, you will now be able to check, download, and install HSS updates automatically
  • Better settings page using tabs for added pages and funcitonality

Note: As of Jan 1, 2012. Anyone who ever wanted to use the Vista/XP version better grab a copy. I will be removing it permanently from this site and from my life.

Edited by JerryW

Yogimax

Hi Jerry

Wil V3.0 fix the crashes I get routinely with HSS? Nearly everytime I wake my PC up I get a crash - I previously sent the error messages to the support email address. It appears to be .net related, and also happens on my wifes netbook.

My server is also running Lightsout if that might be affecting things.

I love the concept of the addin, if we can just get it to work reliably at all times!

JerryW

Hi Jerry

Wil V3.0 fix the crashes I get routinely with HSS? Nearly everytime I wake my PC up I get a crash - I previously sent the error messages to the support email address. It appears to be .net related, and also happens on my wifes netbook.

My server is also running Lightsout if that might be affecting things.

I love the concept of the addin, if we can just get it to work reliably at all times!

I will tell you like I have told others who wish to talk about HSS reliability. Almost every time I hear a problem with HSS, it turns out to be something on the computer, .NET, etc. and so far, not one instance has been HSS. If you are getting .NET crashes, then my suggestion to you is to re-install/repair the .NET framework. I can assure you that the problem is not with HSS and yes, even if it is happening on more than one computer. Believe it or not, the .NET framework can be just as odd acting as WHS 2011. Oh, sometimes the problem is not .NET, sometimes it is the connector!

Yogimax

I'll try repairing .net (again) and see what happens.

JerryW

I'll try repairing .net (again) and see what happens.

May be something else on your machines, that would be a common, then .NET, if the framework has already been repaired. We can work to figure it out but I can guarantee the problem isn't HSS programming. I have many copies deployed and I can count on two hands how many people have had problems and those same people later discovered the problems were on their computers, .NET, connector, or server. Even still, if we find something wrong with HSS, I will gladly fix it.

Am I being slightly defensive? Yes. For good reason, as stated above. However, again, we can work to find the solution.

Edited by JerryW

msawyer91

May be something else on your machines, that would be a common, then .NET, if the framework has already been repaired. We can work to figure it out but I can guarantee the problem isn't HSS programming. I have many copies deployed and I can count on two hands how many people have had problems and those same people later discovered the problems were on their computers, .NET, connector, or server. Even still, if we find something wrong with HSS, I will gladly fix it.

Am I being slightly defensive? Yes. For good reason, as stated above. However, again, we can work to find the solution.

We all must bear in mind that the underlying common component of Windows Home Server, .NET Framework, Visual Studio, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is Microsoft. They never have bugs so everything programmed against it should work flawlessly 100% of the time. :P

JerryW

We all must bear in mind that the underlying common component of Windows Home Server, .NET Framework, Visual Studio, Windows 7 and Windows 8 is Microsoft. They never have bugs so everything programmed against it should work flawlessly 100% of the time. :P

Funny. Too funny. Thanks for shedding a little light on the subject. You could only imagine the emails I get.

msawyer91

Funny. Too funny. Thanks for shedding a little light on the subject. You could only imagine the emails I get.

Same here. I'm a Microsoft SharePoint consultant for a major IT company and as a hobby I have a DBA as Dojo North Software. As a hobby I wrote tools like Home Server SMART (for WHS v1 and 2011), so I see Microsoft by day and by night. There are so many idiosyncrasies it's not even funny. What works flawlessly on two PCs might not work at all on another seemingly identical PC so I'm willing to bet it's not a bug in your HSS (Home Server Status) as (as opposed to my HSS (Home Server SMART)). It's probably one of those weird configuration problems deep within the bowels of the user's Registry that only a full OS rebuild can cure. Sometimes a good ol' OS rebuild is needed, like it or not. :(