RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status Updates

JerryW

It is hard for anyone to beat ikon. Usually when I check the forums, it shows ikon as the last poster on 9 out of 10. :)

If it is for version 1 then count me in.

Sorry, It is not. HSS is only for Windows Home Server 2011. Why? Because it provides functionality removed from WHS that v1 had.

ikon

Switched to TaskBar mode last evening. Checked backup reports just now. Shows my Win7 box having backed up just fine last night.

JerryW

Switched to TaskBar mode last evening. Checked backup reports just now. Shows my Win7 box having backed up just fine last night.

Have you encountered any errors or questionable behavior at all? I know you would have told me but my mind says to ask anyway.

ikon

Have you encountered any errors or questionable behavior at all? I know you would have told me but my mind says to ask anyway.

I would indeed have told you - would have been the 1st thing I mentioned, as I assume you want to know what to fix right off. So no, no problems encountered so far.

HSS reports that my win7 box backed up just fine again last night, which is kinda cool to know because it was also in the midst of doing a massive file transfer at the time (and still is actually).

ikon

Just noticed 1 thing: I have both HSS and Launchpad in the system tray (just switched HSS back to tray mode a minute ago). I noticed that HSS is green and LP is amber. Launchpad is saying there are important updates to install on my win7 box. Not sure if HSS is supposed to tell me that.

JerryW

Just noticed 1 thing: I have both HSS and Launchpad in the system tray (just switched HSS back to tray mode a minute ago). I noticed that HSS is green and LP is amber. Launchpad is saying there are important updates to install on my win7 box. Not sure if HSS is supposed to tell me that.

No. The only alerts HSS will give you is in regards to connectivity and backups. If may you recall, we had the conversation in another thread about implementing additional alerts. In the end, this would not be worth the effort to do so because of, what I call, 'the alert annoyance factor' and the fact that I would have to re-invent the alert framework. Too much trouble there.

So, other than that, would you say you would deem this version ok to send to the folks? Also, have you been getting notified of other computers being backed up, etc?

Thanks again for your help!

ikon

I have not yet, due to time constraints, installed it on other PC's. I tried to install it on win8 but the connector won't install. i will be installing on other computers soon.

JerryW

I have not yet, due to time constraints, installed it on other PC's. I tried to install it on win8 but the connector won't install. i will be installing on other computers soon.

Interesting. I have not been playing with Windows 8 other than to look at it and say I don't like the tiles. Connector not installing! HMM!

ikon

Interesting. I have not been playing with Windows 8 other than to look at it and say I don't like the tiles. Connector not installing! HMM!

Yeah. I get to the http://<whs2011>/connect site just fine, and the download button shows up no problem. But, when I click on it, nothing happens; it just ignores me (sadly, just the way most people treat me ;) )

JerryW

Yeah. I get to the http://<whs2011>/connect site just fine, and the download button shows up no problem. But, when I click on it, nothing happens; it just ignores me (sadly, just the way most people treat me ;) )

Ignore you? I find that hard to believe. I see your name on posts all over this board.