RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebuild of EX495

phatguy29

I am rebuilding an EX495. I am torn between two camps and am searching for opinions. I currently have five WD 1 TB Black Caviar drives to use.

On the one hand, I could build the beast using one of the drives as the system drive, perhaps stranding 98% of a 1 TB disk on the system drive (like I currently have).

On the other hand, I could buy a smaller disk drive and make that my system drive. I could then purchase a RAID chassis and attach it to the eSata port and get all five disks online.

Looking for a yea or nay either way. I am planning to rebuild soon.

Thanx in advance.

If you already have the HDD and don't need it for storage, I wouldn't waste money on a smaller HDD. If you need it for storage, or you think you would soon, then it may make sense to buy a smaller HDD and use all five HDD's in a Raid chassis. For me it completely depends on what you expect to occur in the future.

I am rebuilding an EX495. I am torn between two camps and am searching for opinions. I currently have five WD 1 TB Black Caviar drives to use.

On the one hand, I could build the beast using one of the drives as the system drive, perhaps stranding 98% of a 1 TB disk on the system drive (like I currently have).

On the other hand, I could buy a smaller disk drive and make that my system drive. I could then purchase a RAID chassis and attach it to the eSata port and get all five disks online.

Looking for a yea or nay either way. I am planning to rebuild soon.

Thanx in advance.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. By rebuild do you mean you plan to put V1 back on the EX-495 or are you planning to make it a 2011 or SBS-E machine? I'm guessing a 2011 machine. If that's the case (pun intended) what are your data requirements -- I'm assuming they're not too intense if you're planning to use 4-5 1TB drives but what configuration do you think you'll need 1 yr from now? or 3 yr from now?

A lot of people are building 2011 machines (and SBS-e 2011) with the HP microserver with 4 2TB drives in mirrored pairs (RAID 1) -- with the 1st mirrored pair containing the sys partition as well as a data partition then keeping the absolutely essential data on the 1st mirrored pair and having all that data backed up to a 2TB USB drive that is rotated with another 2TB USB drive to an off site storage. A similar rotating offsite backup solution could be done with the 2nd 2TB pair if need be (depending on it criticality). If you're set to build it with the 5 drives you have then I'd put 2 mirrored pairs in the EX-495 box and use the 5th to back-up my critical data. There are many other solutions out there but it depends on your data and your future expansion/growth requirements and how important it is to protect your data. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. By rebuild do you mean you plan to put V1 back on the EX-495 or are you planning to make it a 2011 or SBS-E machine? I'm guessing a 2011 machine. If that's the case (pun intended) what are your data requirements -- I'm assuming they're not too intense if you're planning to use 4-5 1TB drives but what configuration do you think you'll need 1 yr from now? or 3 yr from now?

A lot of people are building 2011 machines (and SBS-e 2011) with the HP microserver with 4 2TB drives in mirrored pairs (RAID 1) -- with the 1st mirrored pair containing the sys partition as well as a data partition then keeping the absolutely essential data on the 1st mirrored pair and having all that data backed up to a 2TB USB drive that is rotated with another 2TB USB drive to an off site storage. A similar rotating offsite backup solution could be done with the 2nd 2TB pair if need be (depending on it criticality). If you're set to build it with the 5 drives you have then I'd put 2 mirrored pairs in the EX-495 box and use the 5th to back-up my critical data. There are many other solutions out there but it depends on your data and your future expansion/growth requirements and how important it is to protect your data. Just my 2 cents.

Nothing that fancy. I am rebuilding the server and putting HP's V3 of their implementation of WHS V1 on it. I currently have an EX485 running with 4 1 TB drives (one is the system drive) of which the system drive is hardly used (I have stranded almost 950 GB on it.)

WHS will fill up the non-system drives first before it contemplates using the system drive. I am trying to segregate the non-use of the system drive by asking if a smaller system drive would be a better option rather than using on of the 1 TB platters and stranding the disk until everything else is full. I already have the backup issue resolved as well, as I am OK with losing some of the data, as most of it will be movies I can rip once again.

In a perfect POSIX compliant world, I would encapsulate a smaller root drive and add data in spindles as a RAID set outside of these spindles (or in this case DE managed.) I guess I am asking if this installation methodology would work the same way from my WHS server.

• 8 months later...

Sorry I wasn't clear! I should say I just want to do a restore of the OS and not loose the pool data. I am not looking to upgrade.

Should I follow DVN's instructions from here http://homeserversho...recovery-fails/

The server is only holding back ups of 5 small clients and office documents - I still have 2.5 tb free so no need to upgrade

http://connecteddigi...ws-home-server/

Choose Server Recovery, NOT FACTORY RESET. If it doesn't give you the option then quit and let us know.

Install the BDBB addin from mediasmartserver.net if you want to keep the PC backups. http://www.mediasmar...dd-ins/#WHSBDBB

You will loose the User accounts onlt in the Console, once you add the Users back, the folders will show up.

As dvn says, be sure to uninstall the Connector from the client first. I made that mistake and will now never forget it ;)