RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing prototype server with the real deal

gfiske

I've been tinkering around with WHS 2011 for a few months now on an old machine with partially failing parts and figured it was about time to put together the real deal. The server will mostly be used for storing my business files as well as all of my wife and my docs, pics, music and movies and will also be used to transcode video (standard and hd) to various devices around the house with no more than 2 streams at a time. I realise that transcoding performance and power savings don't usually go hand in hand but any tips/alternative parts to get it fairly low in power usage would be great.

Specs so far:

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25 Black Hot Swap Mini Tower Case

PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU

MB: ASUS P8H67-I Mini ITX Motherboard B3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH (2x4GB) DDR3

HDD (System): Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB HD502HJ

HDD (RAID5): 5 x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX

Cheers.

I've been tinkering around with WHS 2011 for a few months now on an old machine with partially failing parts and figured it was about time to put together the real deal. The server will mostly be used for storing my business files as well as all of my wife and my docs, pics, music and movies and will also be used to transcode video (standard and hd) to various devices around the house with no more than 2 streams at a time. I realise that transcoding performance and power savings don't usually go hand in hand but any tips/alternative parts to get it fairly low in power usage would be great.

Specs so far:

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25 Black Hot Swap Mini Tower Case

PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU

MB: ASUS P8H67-I Mini ITX Motherboard B3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH (2x4GB) DDR3

HDD (System): Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB HD502HJ

HDD (RAID5): 5 x Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EARX

Cheers.

Great system, but I would not do this without using a RAID card. For starters you are using Sata 3 drives, and motherboards have only 2 sata 3 ports, and most importantly, you will will be stuck (not to mention unreliable) with you initial drive configuration and will not be able to expand.

Thanks for the tip. At this stage I'm not overly concerned about expansion (any shows we like we usually end up buying, which reclaims a lot of disc space) so 8TB should be fine, for the next few years at least.

Was thinking of using a raid card over the on board support, are there any m-ITX boards that you know of that have pci-e slots or does this instantly kick me out of the smaller form factor.

Thanks for the tip. At this stage I'm not overly concerned about expansion (any shows we like we usually end up buying, which reclaims a lot of disc space) so 8TB should be fine, for the next few years at least.

Was thinking of using a raid card over the on board support, are there any m-ITX boards that you know of that have pci-e slots or does this instantly kick me out of the smaller form factor.

There are ITX boards with PCIe slots which is what you want. The board you selected also had pcie.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128484

Awesome, one last question. I've done a bit of digging around and the HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X4 seems to be popular and should be able to handle the 5 drives I want to put into the raid the thing I'm not sure about, are you able to put a PCIe card that uses 4 lanes into a 16 lane slot? Probably a stupid question but I've never had to know till now.