RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to build new NAS

kermi

Time to start scraping together a new server.. My EX490 called it quits, and somehow rather efficiently has destroyed the c-partition of the system disk. Attached the drive to my desktop PC and tried to run chkdsk on c-partition.. All I got back was an error message saying "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk.".

I can (still) access the data on d-partition, though Jeff only knows for how long that'll work.

So i'm planning to build whs2011 box on my current desktops case. It's a huge case, I could propably fit about four EX490s inside it.

I've been away for a good while from here, so just to make sure, is core i3 still the weapon of choice for WHS2011 builds?

I would pick the I3 or I5 depending on budget and how much you want it to do. The I3-2100 is probably the best all around choice. I would make sure you case can handle allot of drives, size does not necessarily mean it has enough drive bays. I would not use if it hold less than 6 dries. With 2011, mirroring and a separate backup drive are not uncommon so drive bays are important.

I did some counting couple months ago, and came to conclusion that using those adapters which allow using 3.5" drives in 5.25" slots, I could fit 13 drives in the case.

As for storage management, i was planning on going for Drive Bender. Sadly i missed their beta-offer sale due to inconvinient timing on moving to another apartment, so i guess i'm stuck paying full price..

For my own two cents, I would not trust my data to a new Drive Extender replacement until at least a year of proven performance in the market. That's just me.

Why not go with a RAID Solution?

For my own two cents, I would not trust my data to a new Drive Extender replacement until at least a year of proven performance in the market. That's just me.

Why not go with a RAID Solution?

I've had my share of mucking about with RAID, and I stand by Microsofts earlier statement that it's not a home-based solution,

I understand jmwills viewpoint. I look at it as a factor of adequate backup. I would not be afraid to try the new DE replacements as long as I was sure I had at least 2 other complete backups of my data, so I'm not in danger of fatally losing anything.

I have backups of my important data, and good portition of the non-important one (which is pretty much re-acquirable anyway), so i'm at most slightly inconvinienced if something goes south.

Anyhow, i was planning my setup and here's what i've gotten so far:

mobo: Asus P8P67 B3

psu: Antec HCG-750 High Current Gamer 750W

ram: Kingston Valueram 4GB 1333MHz DDR3

for cpu i'm pondering between i3-2100 and i3-2100T. I'm tempted by the 2100Ts 30W less TDP, but dunno how much of a performance loss it'll be.And the plain 2100 would be few euros cheaper too.

Oh yes.. and my un-willingness to use RAID also includes my rather diverse set of drives. All of them are 2TB, but most are the variable-speed WD Greens, and i have atleast one that spins at 5400 RPM. I was planning on stuffing my old ex490 system drive (1tb) in too, but it appears to have broken itself so it's staying out.

Have a look at unRAID. Not as fast as a true RAID system, but I am now getting 40-50MB writes and 80-90MB reads, which for me is plenty fast enough. In turn for the transfer speeds, you get much more flexibility. Use nearly any size drive, two drive loss does not destroy the array, adding new drives in the future is pretty simple, drives not being used can be spun down, you can determine how folders spread across the drives (individual files are not spread across drives) and you can even write to a specific drive.

There is a free version you can try that is limited to 3 drives. The full version can handle up to 20 drives, I think.

I really would reconsider or at a minimum test the DE extenders especially on that many drives as I was not impressed. You have a valid point if you have a hodge podge of drives but your are building a server for usefulness and data protection. The DE best case will sacrifice storage as they only have 0/1 options (duplicate or mirror). Secondly, because of the configuration of how these work, they will suffer in performance especially if the drives are different. Lastly, these are largely untested with various things like AV, add-ins etc. If you are really going to this, at least build a test system and abuse it for a couple of months. As an alternate, I would also consider the point the geek-accountant brought up. Considering your will not be able to back correctly with drive pools, also plan on an external backup solution.