RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking to build WHS box

CarlV

Hello I'm newb to the Home Server Show forum and was looking to build my first WHS 2011 box. Big fan of the site and I enjoy the podcasts as well.

I'm in IT and over the years built several servers (both Windows and Linux) but my specialty is more into routing/switching and security. I usually build my own PCs but this is my first time building a WHS box. Terms like Micro ATX are not familiar to me and I’m not sure if these components are compatible with each other. I also don’t know if I’m going overboard with the power supply. I don’t anticipate adding any more components other then more hard drives.

Mostly I would like to utilize the WHS for streaming movies to my PS3 or AppleTV. I would also use it as an itunes server and backup data on my PC and laptop. The WHS box would reside in my basement closet alongside my router/switch so noise isn't too much of a concern. Lastly I don’t know much about DNLA and if I build my own server does this prevent streaming media because I’m not DNLA compliant.

I created a wishlist on newegg and would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance!

The OS is what makes it DNLA compliant and WHS is compliant. I don't know anything about AMD so I will let others comment on the hardware.

You will want more than two 1 TB drives though. Most, me included, would tell you to use two drives in raid1 for the OS. You don't want any data on the OS drives so you will need more drives.

Thanks ImTheTypeOfGuy. Makes my life easier that the OS determines DNLA compliance. I have some extra drives laying around that I was going to use for the OS. I also have a few external 1 TB drives that I'm going to use to backup the two 1 TB drives (I was going to use RAID 1). I was also thinking about starting with two 1 TB drives and adding more later. I would like to keep the initial costs down some that's why only two drives to start. I wanted to go with the Core I3 processor but I couldn't find a motherboard that could handle on-board video and also supported USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB.

Guest no-control

My opinion on the hardware

Edited by no-control
  • Like 1

Guest no-control

Rule of thumb for HDD wattage is:

5400 ~ 5W ea

7200 ~ 7W ea

10k ~ 10W ea

I have 11 HDDs an i3-530/h55 w/ 16GB RAM and 6 case fans all running on one of their older 400w models. So no its not loading it that much even with all the HDDs spinning. See my specs in my sig below.

Where you need a large PSU is when you tack on a high end GPU that pulls 200w all by itself.

Edited by no-control
  • Like 1

No-Control, thanks for the reply. I made the changes that you recommended. Do you think the Corsair CX430 will provide enough power? I don't know how much power the hard drives draw and I'm looking at expanding storage in the future. I also have other external drives that I'm going to utilize.

If you read up on the 80+ specifications you will see that they recommend getting a PSU that's about twice the size of the average load you expect to see. The rationale is that most PSU's are most efficient at 50 - 60% of max power capability.

80+ is an initiative by a number of manufacturers to produce PSU's that are 80% or more efficient. They have spec'd out bronze, silver, and gold levels, each one a little more efficient that the previous. I found it interesting that the PSU's almost universally achieved their greatest efficiency when they were loaded to about 50% of max.