RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client PC (WIN 7) shows as OffLine on Server and I can not backup

Ronsanut

Need help figuring out why my client PC shows as offline when it is connected. I can not backup this PC because it never is online to start any backup. I removed the client connector software and .NET Framework 4 many times and re installed. All of my other Clients (5)run just fine and are recognized. I rebuilt this PC a couple of times and kept the same name. I have removed the computer and the re-installed everything and added it back in. I can not understand why it will not show as on-line. I looked at the Server Health Services on the client and made sure they were started. I can only connect using Remote Desktop as the Dashboard Connector will onlly tell me the server appears to be off line so it will not connect.

I even tried connecting wireless rather than through the on-board LAN (Gigabyte Assassin) in case it was the Big Foot networks HW. I also exited from the Big Foot network manager application.

Just at my wits end. Is it hardware or SW ? Please help.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Ronsanut

The server part is working just fine as evidenced by your other machines. I would start looking for either a BIOS update or a NIC card drive update. Can this problem machine access resources on the server?

The server part is working just fine as evidenced by your other machines. I would start looking for either a BIOS update or a NIC card drive update. Can this problem machine access resources on the server?

Yes, if you mean can I access my files on the server ? I can log into and view and use all my media files on the server through this client PC (my main system actually). As I said, I can also login via remote desktop and view and manage the server dashboard as well. I just can not login through the client launchpad.

Some were labeled as Automatic (Delayed Start) . Which I started. There was a note that stated some of these services would start Automatically and only when needed. Is there a specific one of set of ones I should be looking for ?

Those set to Automatic should be running. Delayed starts means they only run when needed.

Thanks for clarifying. Then all services are running. I saw some posts noting Killer NIC's. DO you know of any compatability issues with those or the drivers ?

Killer NIC's? New one on me on than what I see on Google. I try to stick with the Big3 (Intel, Broadcom, and RealTek) and my guess is the NIC is the issue. Check their site for driver updates.

Killer NIC's? New one on me on than what I see on Google. I try to stick with the Big3 (Intel, Broadcom, and RealTek) and my guess is the NIC is the issue. Check their site for driver updates.

The mobo has the BigFoot Networks Killer E2100 chip on it so I have no choice, but I did download the latest driver and reinstalled the Connector and NET 4 Framework and now it does show me the option to do a manual backup which it did not before, but it is still showing as offline. So I can not start or setup a backup. Once step closer at least and I believe it is a driver and maybe a bios issue. But no new bios updates available yet.

Edited by Ronsanut

The mobo has the BigFoot Networks Killer E2100 chip on it so I have no choice, but I did download the latest driver and reinstalled the Connector and NET 4 Framework and now it does show me the option to do a manual backup which it did not before, but it is still showing as offline. So I can not start or setup a backup. Once step closer at least and I believe it is a driver and maybe a bios issue. But no new bios updates available yet.

Unless you're mobo is out of slots, you always have the choice of installing an add-in NIC (preferably one of the big 3). You could then disable the Killer NIC in the BIOS.