RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video Camera for HTPC Build

Joe_Miner

I was looking for suggestions for a video camera that I could hook up to my HTPC build so that I could experiment with doing Hangout and Skype calls from the HTPC in our family room.

This would be a great way I'm thinking of hooking up with family members scattered across the country -- My wife isn't thrilled about using my laptop camera (which is all I have at the moment) but she's watched enough "Big Bang Theory" with me to think it would be "cool" to start a conversation with family members from our living room and see them on the "big screen".

Thanks,

Just noticed that Microsoft has a pretty sweet webcam selector page. Fill in the checkboxes and it shows you just the ones that match. I selected auto-focus, HD, and Wide Angle Lens and it narrowed it down to 3.

I suspect you want wide angle to ensure you get everyone into the frame.

The LifeCam Cinema would be my choice. It does 720p. I think 1080p would take too much bandwidth and is unnecessary. The LifeCam HD-5001 doesn't have a glass lens so I would not get it.

I would also consider getting another microphone. Before buying a mic, I would try the built-in webcam mic. However, if you're going to have several family members in frame, they will have to sit back from the camera a bit and the sound would probably not be great from the webcam mic. If that proves to be the case, I would get a mic with a fairly long USB cable so I could put it closer to the people. I would also make sure it has a somewhat wide acceptance pattern, so people a bit off to the side could still be heard. Or, you could go the whole hog and get multiple mics and connect them through a mixer :D

Edited by ikon

I use this one when I Skype or Hangout from my Family room, on my big screen. I've been happy with it.

Amazon has a pretty good deal on it right now.

http://www.amazon.co...18700751&sr=8-1

Thnaks Tim! This (the C910) was what you used in our last Hangout? Do you mount it on your TV or on a seperate Stand? We have a Samsung 850 which is pretty thin so it would probably mount on top but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Suggestions?

I think any of the Logitech Pro webcams or the MS Lifecams would do. I would go HD, since you will have multiple people on screen at once.

Thanks for the info.

Thnaks Tim! This (the C910) was what you used in our last Hangout? Do you mount it on your TV or on a seperate Stand? We have a Samsung 850 which is pretty thin so it would probably mount on top but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Suggestions?

Thanks for the info.

Yes it was. I have a Panasonic Plasma in the Family room so my bezel is thicker than your Samsung 850. I can, however, get the C910 clipped to the top of the Plasma. You should have no trouble attaching it to the top of the Samsung.

During Hangouts I actually have been removing it from the top of the Plasma and setting it on top of the cabinet my Plasma sits on. It gives me a better camera angle and I don't have to zoom the camera as far. I don't use a separate stand.

I have the logitech and two of the MS HD livecams and I think the MS is better camera.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826105415

Thanks for the comment (and the Logictech Link article -- it's on my Xmas list now)

Is the Lifecam Studio what you used on the last Webcast?

What advantage did you see it having over the Logictech? Do you use a stand or hang it on top of the monitor/TV?

I have a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 that I use on the JPEG2RAW podcast and am very pleased.

Thanks for the input!

Do you hang it on top of your monitor/TV?