RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Watched Shows and Multiple HTPC's

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Just started using MC for TV due to receiving my HD Prime a couple months ago. This had led to questions that I haven't found answers for. I have MyMovies but I haven't tried 4.0 with the TV shows functionality yet.

How do you know what you have watched?

How do you know the order to watch the episodes when it is a rerun?

How do you share your medai across two HTPC's if you are not archiving your TV shows to a server? Do you just share the drive in the HTPC you are recording with or is there a better option?

I set up RDP for my HTPC but it doesn't work because it doesn't have a password. I set it up to go directly into windows wht MC being in the startup menu. I know there is a way around this, but I am new to some of this and this one has me stumped?

How do you know what you have watched?

MM puts a stylized eye next to episodes that have been watched.

How do you know the order to watch the episodes when it is a rerun?

MM uses the sXXexx format to keep track of the order of shows. Not sure how that would work for shows recorded from HD Prime.

How do you share your medai across two HTPC's if you are not archiving your TV shows to a server? Do you just share the drive in the HTPC you are recording with or is there a better option?

I'm sure you could share a folder to do this, but you can also set up MM to have its database on a server. That's what I do. My HTPC runs MM but the dB is on my WHS.

I set up RDP for my HTPC but it doesn't work because it doesn't have a password. I set it up to go directly into windows wht MC being in the startup menu. I know there is a way around this, but I am new to some of this and this one has me stumped?

Are you sure RDP requires a password? I have a server at work that I just RDP into, using a shortcut on my desktop. It doesn't ask for a password. That said, I still cannot get my HTPC to not ask for a password anytime it's woken up from sleep. And, if I set its password to blank, WHSv1 complains.

So what if I don't use MM for TV shows? Given you can't record your shows to a server they have to be on the local HTPC. YOu can archive the shows to the server but that creates other problems. Are there other options if you don't use MM?

Yes I am sure it requires it, may not with some patch or hack, because it gives me the following message.

Login failure; user account restriction. Possible reasons include blank passwords are not allowed, logon hour restrictions...

So what if I don't use MM for TV shows? Given you can't record your shows to a server they have to be on the local HTPC. YOu can archive the shows to the server but that creates other problems. Are there other options if you don't use MM?

Yes I am sure it requires it, may not with some patch or hack, because it gives me the following message.

Login failure; user account restriction. Possible reasons include blank passwords are not allowed, logon hour restrictions...

I'm not sure whether you can record TV shows to the server or not. I don't have a tuner on my HTPC anymore and I don't remember from when I did. However, I'm wondering if a mapped drive would make it possible to record to a server.

The Logon failure message sounds like a account policy issue. Account policies can be adjusted so I'm thinking it could be possible to have a blank password. That said, I haven't resolved it on my own WHSv1 yet ;)

This is what I have set up. I have to download my content from an external source since I am out of the country. When using MC, if you go to the TV folder it will not see TV becasue I actually did not record any. I still use the folder called Recorded TV but I created a shortcut to that folder inside the Video folder and MC has not problems accessing it from there.

All I have to do with the MC setup is map to the videos folder on the server and away you go. V1 does not like simple passwords but you could chnage that policy easily enough. 2011 doesn't care. Best thing to do is create a Service Account that has Read Access to the media you like.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure if this thread is meant to be specific to MC only, but if you use XBMC to watch your media, you can sync your entire database, including watched flags, by moving XBMC's database to MySQL on a centralized server. I have it setup this way using WHS2011 and I have no problems connecting with either my Linux HTPC or my Win7 laptop that I occasionally use for XBMC in the bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest no-control

Logon issue

WIN+R -> netplwiz -> uncheck "user needs to provide user name and password yadda yadda yadda" -> enter password twice -> click OK

Now the system will auto logon using the provided credentials

XBMC and MM

Adding either of these may work but both are very heavy since they are SQL servers. My guess is the OP isn't looking to install this on his server. I also do not believe changing the entire frontend AND backend is an attractive solution.

Recording to a mapped drive

The Recorder in WMC will only allow you to use local drives. A mapped drive does not show up as an option. I don't recommend recording to a server directly, but if you really want to test your resolve. You can try to use symbolic links to link to the server share instead of trying to point directly to it. Not sure how stable this will be.

Edited by no-control

• 4 weeks later...

You mentioned the TV archive feature but said "...that creates other problems...". I'm curious to hear what problems you're referring to. I use the archive feature quite a bit and it works well for me. Plus, I think it solves your problem - automatic moving of recorded TV content to the WHS.

You mentioned the TV archive feature but said "...that creates other problems...". I'm curious to hear what problems you're referring to. I use the archive feature quite a bit and it works well for me. Plus, I think it solves your problem - automatic moving of recorded TV content to the WHS.

One of the problems here related to protected content is if your cable provider uses a "copy once" flag on it's content. Since ITTOG is using an HD Prime cable card tuner then that's probably the case. If it is copy once then you can archive it on another PC, server, etc. but you can only view it from the WMC that originally recorded it or on an extender connected to the WMC.