RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 install on ICH7R RAID1 array issue

ikon

I have 2011 installed on my old desktop box (a core 2 duo 2.4 GHZ), but only on a single 250GB drive. I originally tried to installed it onto a RAID1 config using the onboard Intel ICH7R chipset.

I got the BIOS configured OK, got the array created during the POST, and the WHS2011 installer did see the array as a single drive. So far, so good.

But, when I press F6 during install, to try to load the Intel drivers, I can browse to the folder where the driver files are located and click OK, but then the system just sits there with the cursor spinning forever; it never seems to complete. It never displays the driver it should have found.

I used this driver from Intel: ICH7R driver (F6 during Setup) 10.6_f6flpy-x64. The .INF file says this:

Revision: Version 10.6.0.1002

Date: 5/20/2011

I tried having the driver files at the root of the USB stick I put them on, and in a subdirectory on the stick — neither worked.

Any ideas ??

I got the BIOS configured OK, got the array created during the POST, and the WHS2011 installer did see the array as a single drive. So far, so good.

If the WHS2011 Installer sees the array, you shouldn't have to load any additional drivers.

If the WHS2011 Installer sees the array, you shouldn't have to load any additional drivers.

I thought that at first, but the installer would always come back with an error that Setup failed. Think I'm going to have to try again. I'll replace both drives with spares and see if that makes any difference.

OK, I've identified the issue. It wasn't (unfortunately) the BIOS. Mine was quite a few releases behind, so I did update it. Incidentally, I did it by modifying a SpinRite bootable USB stick (basically, commented out the DEVICE= statement in config.sys and copied over COMMAND.COM from an ISO of FreeDOS). A little quirky, but saved me from having to create the boot sector of the USB (which is a PITA). Besides, SpinRite makes bootable USB sticks so quickly, easily, and reliably.

Back to the issue. It was the fact that I had a 3ware RAID card in the system. There is a hint in the BIOS about disabling other RAID systems if trying to use the onboard one, something about a due to shadow ram limitation. Unfortunately, it's written in Chinglish and it took me several looks at it to figure out what they were trying to tell me.

I'm trying another approach. I have removed the 3ware card, temporarily I hope, and I now have WHS2011 installing properly on the ICH7R RAID1. It isn't complete yet, but it's gone way past where it failed before. After it's all done, I'm going to try reinstalling the 3ware card and see if everything still works.... probably it won't, but it's worth a try.

WHs2011 install complete. Booted the system, did the usual config stuff, and got my desktop. Yay!

Shut down, re-installed the 3ware card, booted up, and of course the system didn't see it. Checked Device Mangler and hey, what'dya know, it shows an unknown RAID controller.

Copied the latest 3ware driver to a USB stick, told Device Manager to update the driver and, bingo, the 6TB array came up, with the right drive letter and volume name.

Just to be sure, I rebooted, to make certain that the system will boot with both RAID controllers active. It does; double Yay!!

Chinglish...that is a new one. Obvious but new to me.

Glad to see you got it working. Probably seems simple to figure out now but a PITA when you are working on it.

Chinglish...that is a new one. Obvious but new to me.

Glad to see you got it working. Probably seems simple to figure out now but a PITA when you are working on it.

Despite the issues, I'm actually pretty happy at how well things have gone. The problems have gotten resolved in reasonable time, without too too much hair pulling (not that I have much to pull :rolleyes: ), and I haven't so far had to give up on something I wanted for this build. It's especially nice because only the case and PSU are new; everything else is recycled — makes for a cheap build.

I just installed a USB3 PCIe card and am about to install the drivers. This has proven to be a bit of a black art in the past, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've gotten it working before, so I'm hopeful. Assuming it does work, then I can finally get one of my Lian-Li EX-503's connected. :)

....Assuming it does work, then I can finally get one of my Lian-Li EX-503's connected. :)

One of your EX-503's...I have been looking for this since the last time they were available. I have not been able to find any available except ebay which listed it for close to $400. I am hoping FrocenCPU gets them back in stock...I want to be one of the first to purchase this. I already have the HD available for the unit.

One of your EX-503's...I have been looking for this since the last time they were available. I have not been able to find any available except ebay which listed it for close to $400. I am hoping FrocenCPU gets them back in stock...I want to be one of the first to purchase this. I already have the HD available for the unit.

I have 2 EX-503s. I got lucky. I got the email notification that they were in stock. By the time I jumped online to order, there was only 1 left. I ordered it. 5 minutes later I got a call from FrozenCPU to confirm the order, which I did of course. I also mentioned that I would have ordered 2 if they'd had them. The caller asked if I'd like him to check if they had any more in back. They had 1 more. He sent me a PayPal payment request. I replied. Bingo-bango, I had 2 on order :)