• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• pluggedinpc

OK, here’s another possibility! The APEVIA X-FIT-100 Black and fill it out with a Mini-ITX with a USB 3.0 and a i3 sandy bridge plus RAM (16GB(?)) and a 2.5 drive. There's room for a BD drive (future HTPC repurpose).

Looks like it comes with a PSU. Not to rain on your parade, but I would be concerned about a $50 case that comes with a PSU. I wonder how easy it would be to get a name-brand PSU to replace - it looks a bit custom.

Edited by ikon

Thinking inside the box why not just procure a dead drobo and use it for the case build a PC in it and you're done. Pretty sure a Drobo will match the Drobo.

Thinking outside the box you could also look into using something like Xi3 and mount it inside a small enclosure or just set it on top of the Drobo.

Hey Jim, I've been contemplating this exact thing for a while now... Just not with a drobo....

I have an Acer Revo R3610 which doesn't have USB 3.0 but it does have eSata. Atom N330 so not a transcoding beast but I'm interested to see how well it runs WHS 2011. I recently picked up a 5 bay raid enclosure with eSata and USB 3.0 so am itching to try this out.....

There are plenty of options out there for extremely small computers but they do tend to be quite expensive. The acer was pretty cheap though and uses only about 25W ....

I did see this one crop up which made me go "Oooooo"...

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/imono/

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/10/15/tranquil-imono-pc-now-available-for-pre-order-with-discounts/

Regards,

Tommy

Thinking inside the box why not just procure a dead drobo and use it for the case build a PC in it and you're done. Pretty sure a Drobo will match the Drobo. Thinking outside the box you could also look into using something like Xi3 and mount it inside a small enclosure or just set it on top of the Drobo.

Love the idea of the Xi3.