RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for a small form factor PC to pair with WHS2011 and a Drobo

jcollison

Jim,

Just a thought. If you get a very small case to pair with the drobo, there is no turning back. If you get a case that has room for at least a few internal drives, at least you can still have a server if the Drobo gives out or you get in the mood to put that raid card to use, you will not be stuck with a case or system you cannot do much with. Just a thought.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112227

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112265

So nice of you to be looking out for me Mike! I like these two cases as well...but I am looking for smaller. Thanks for the links

As a side note...it could be come my next HTPC if the whole Drobo thing doesn't work out...

Hey Jim,

to go with the Drobo, consider this case: http://www.apextechu...cts.asp?pID=179

Apex is built much like a Shuttle case, which I use for my current HTPC. It could be an option. That size at about half the height would be better.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• pluggedinpc

I'm always surprised when people recommend Shuttle. I've never been very impressed with them. They always seemed overpriced, built kinda flimsy, and ran pretty hot. I must be missing something.

Jim:

Have you considered the Shuttle SH67H3 with Sandy Bridge? Put a i3-2120 w/16GB RAM in there and a couple of 2TB Blacks [sATA 6] in it with your Drobo on top and I think it would be pretty nice system.

John, one of the things I didn't make very clear is that I want to only have one OS drive in the box. The rest of the drives will be in the drobo. So room for more storage in the case is not necessary. OS drive only. Hope that helps

I'm always surprised when people recommend Shuttle. I've never been very impressed with them. They always seemed overpriced, built kinda flimsy, and ran pretty hot. I must be missing something.

I use a shuttle case with and Atom D525 chip and 4GB RAM for my HTPC and it works great. When I had two 3.5 drives in the case the drives did run very hot. Replaced them with two 2.5 drives and it runs right as rain!

John, one of the things I didn't make very clear is that I want to only have one OS drive in the box. The rest of the drives will be in the drobo. So room for more storage in the case is not necessary. OS drive only. Hope that helps

This opens up some inteesting possibilities! One drive necessary and if able to drop down to 2.5 drive we are looking at a very small package indeed.

I use a shuttle case with and Atom D525 chip and 4GB RAM for my HTPC and it works great. When I had two 3.5 drives in the case the drives did run very hot. Replaced them with two 2.5 drives and it runs right as rain!

That would certainly make a difference. I have never used a 2.5" drive other than in a laptop, so you can see why I found the Shuttle cases too hot (admittedly, a good part of it is because I'm a fanatic about HDD temps; I want them between 30C & 35C; the Shuttle just wouldn't do that).

What sort of CPU cooler can you use with that Shuttle case? A standard Intel cooler supplied with the chip?

The factory specs show a Shuttle supplied heat sink -- I believe also talked about in the comments at new egg or n the Manf's web site.

Edited by Joe_Miner

What sort of CPU cooler can you use with that Shuttle case? A standard Intel cooler supplied with the chip?

Yep. for my 525 just the standard stock cooler