RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Connector fails

Simcheck

Hi,

I am running a full EX470 on WHS v1. Currenlt have 8 Win 7 Pro machines connected. This configuration has been running well for over a year until....

Lately I cannot get the connector to work for any of the client machines. I can ping both the IP and host name from the clients. I can RDP into the server itself and then invoke the console. All backups are occuring. The Shared Folders are accessible. The only problem is the connector. Most clients are connected via ethernet, a few are wireless.

Thinking the connector might be bad, I uninstalled and attempted to reconnect on one of the machines. The installation fails and now that machine is offline to the server.

Appreciate any troubleshooting guidance anyone has.

Thanks,

Bob

Did you make any changes to your Router/switch wireless, etc. Equipt.

I had a simular problem resulting from using my son's Apple Airport router. In short, I cannot use it as it does not support UPNP.

You may want to look at the settings in your router-Maybe even reset and reconfigure it. Routers do die sometimes.

Could Workgroups be an issue?

Thanks guys for the quick response.

1) - Router - You may have it there. I did change to a full hardware firewall (Calyptix). I doubt it supports Upnp or at least that it is turned on by default. I naively assumed that because everything was internal on same subnet that there would be no need to open ports unless I wanted to connect from outside lan subnet. I'll take a look at that. Any ports in particular? Again I can RDP into it with no problem. So I guess thats why I thought the firewall would be a problem.

2) >:55000 - No I was running from the software folder of the WHS Share Folder. But I did try to connect now and no luck.

Bob

Thanks guys for the quick response.

1) - Router - You may have it there. I did change to a full hardware firewall (Calyptix). I doubt it supports Upnp or at least that it is turned on by default. I naively assumed that because everything was internal on same subnet that there would be no need to open ports unless I wanted to connect from outside lan subnet. I'll take a look at that. Any ports in particular? Again I can RDP into it with no problem. So I guess thats why I thought the firewall would be a problem.

2) >:55000 - No I was running from the software folder of the WHS Share Folder. But I did try to connect now and no luck.

Bob

1) you are correct in that you only need to open ports for access from outside your LAN.

2) are you saying you couldn't even get to the web page http://whsserver:55000 ? If so, then maybe the web server is not running on your WHS. If you can connect but the install is failing, make sure you have uninstalled the existing connector on the client before attempting to install.

3) if you do try to copy the install down from the server, try to copy it from the location on the C: drive, not from the shared Software folder, as it could be out of date. I forget exactly where it is on C:, but I think diehard knows cause I think that's who told me about it.

4) you could use the Console to delete the client computer from your WHS before trying to install the connector.. You would lose any backups of that computer I think.

<2) are you saying you couldn't even get to the web page http://whsserver:55000 ? Yes when I attempt to connect get error msg: 'The remote device or resource won't accept the connection - Detected'

<3) if you do try to copy the install down from the server, try to copy it from the location on the C: drive, not from the shared Software folder, as it could be out of date. I forget exactly where it is on C:, but I think diehard knows cause I think that's who told me about it.

I'll see if I can find it on C drive and copy down and retry the install. Not sure that is the problem overall since have this problem on other 7 machines as well (connectivity). The connector is uninstalled on this particular machine.

4) you could use the Console to delete the client computer from your WHS before trying to install the connector.. You would lose any backups of that computer I think.

I'd like to to do that as a last resort as I would like to preserve the existing bakups.

Thanks,

Bob

2. If you can't get to that site, it's a problem. Near as I can tell from the little I could find online, the error indicates that the server is not accepting connections. That brings me back to my earlier statement that it could be that IIS is not running on your WHS. I just tried using puTTY with RAW and port 80 to connect to my WHS (which I know is working). It didn't print any text, but it did let me press Enter and advance the cursor 1 line down the screen each time. When I tried it with my Win7 machine, the connection was refused.

Can you check on your WHS and see if IIS is started? In Start/Administrative Tools/Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, look in the Web Sites folder and see if Default Web Site and WHS Site are both Running.

Very peculiar - That may be the cuplprit. When I go to IIS Manager it does not display any sites. Merely says There are no items to show in this view. If I try to connect to the webserver - assume same name as WHS server it brings up blank screen again.

So that would explain why I cannot connect. Not sure how to rectify short of a WHS reinstall.. Curious what could have hijacked the Web Servers....

To add to above - I did copy Connector install files from WHS C:\WHS folder and ran from client. All proceeds until I enter password to connect to server. Immediately get 'Operation could not complete at this time. Please try again later.'

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MoonGlum
      By MoonGlum
      Hi All,
      I have built a WHS 2011 server.  All was well except my Win 10 PC would not back up to it.  Installing the KB281721 hotfix was done on the server and part of the process was to reinstall the connector on the PC.  I uninstalled from control panel.  I then had a ton of problems connecting to WHS 2011 connect webpage.  This turned out to be being blocked by the server windows firewall, which started working ok when I disabled the private firewall.
      Now the connector web page comes up and initiates the install.  Connect a computer wizard starts up and asks me for the server name or IP.
      Neither work.  Whether I enter the server name or the IP it says the server could not be located.
      If I open the remote access web page from any device inside or outside LAN, I can connect to the server and carry out all you would expect.  I can connect via RDP, I can ping the LAN IP, I can ping the FQDN and WAN IP.
      The server is showing in Network and all shares are browse-able.
      I installed the find my server wizard and that failed to find it even using the command line switch with the <servername>
      So how do I get the server connector up and running.
      I have added theses ports to the router
      3389  disabled at the moment until I can secure it better
      I found 3 copies of windows home server in the listed devices and have removed all of them.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.  Hoping some experienced WHS 2011 server people know what to do next.......

KR

• RobWu
      By RobWu
      Before anyone starts telling me "I told you so...."
      I know.... I know.... but.... but.... ;-)

So.... I upgraded my Win7 pc to Win10 yesterday. All went fairly well this time (another story...), and within a hour I was looking at a Win10 desktop.
      Did some new driver juggling, and all seem OK at first.
      Than it started to degrade quite quickly. Apps were being uninstalled or rendered non-functional, drivers went AWOL, I couldn't create any accounts for online stuff, like a google/ms account etc.

Finally, after a couple of hours of bug hunting I gave up, and restored my old Win7 from the server. This all went like clockwork, and within another hour or so I was back running Win7.

The only thing is that on the server, the PC is now seen as a Win10 pc, and as such not connected to the network. This is also happening with the connector, it's grayed out.
      I cannot change any of the settings for the pc backup, as it is 'offline or not connected to the network'.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to remove the pc from the devices list, and reinstall connector to get things running again? I do loose all my previous backups, which I feel is a bit 'tricky' atm...

cheers!

rob
    • RobWu
      By RobWu
      HI all,

I know this has come up a couple of times, but I haven't found a solution for this so far.

I have my clients pc's connected to the server, but not in the domain.
      This worked just fine, but (and I suspect recent updates on the Win 7&10 clients) all of a sudden my NIC's DNS settings are reset to the server every time I (re)start a PC.

As I don't want to check up on this, and change it back to the ISP values every time I start a PC, is there someone who has a working way around this?

cheers!

rob

p.s. Just found out there's a update for the connector (KB 3172614). Not sure if this will fix the DNS issues as well though...
    • eddieb76
      By eddieb76
      I'm having problems with the Windows Server Essentials 2012 (NOT R2) connector software.  I've been on a bunch of web sites and still am unable to resolve them.  

To Start:  I'm running WSE 2012 (non R2), a real plain install, none of my clients are on a domain (I added the key before installing the connector).  I can ping the server by name from all of the clients.

All my clients were running fine.  I updated one client to Windows 10, no problem.  The second Windows 10 Pro client has the connector installed, but can't run backup (I do get the notifications).   I can ever remote the server and map drives to it.  Next, I added a completely new computer, and on that one, I download the connector, and get the "Cannot locate or identify your server" error.  Entering the or IP address here does nothing.  The other remaining clients work fine.

At this point, I'm thinking that maybe I did something to the server.  Somewhere in the interim, I installed SubVersion on the server.  I believe that it uses Apache, but even with that shut down, I am unable to install the connector.  

From my computerconnector.log file on the client:

[11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] wmain: Start of Computerconnector
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] wmain: Calling Computerconnector::ShowWizard()
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::ShowWizard: Initializing common controls
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::ShowWizard: Done initializing common controls
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] Displaying the wizard
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::AnotherInstallationErrorDlgProc: IDD_ANOTHER_INSTALLATION_ERR Page Initialization
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] CComputerconnector::Run: Installation is ready to run
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] GlobalData::Initialize (192.168.1.14, , C:\Users\EAdmin\Downloads\ComputerConnector(192.168.1.14) (3).exe, 1033)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] ExpandEnvironmentStrings return (C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Client Deployment Files\)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] CComputerconnector::Run: Running Task: Id=1 Description=Downloads the Setup.cab file
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::DownloadFile (https://192.168.1.14:443/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033, C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::DownloadFile - Create directory [C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp] if not exist.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::_WinInetDownloadFile (https://192.168.1.14:443/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033, C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::AnotherInstallationErrorDlgProc: DIALOG_UPDATE: PreCheckPass
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::ConnecttingDlgProc: IDD_CONNECTING Page Initialization
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] InternetOpenUrl (https://192.168.1.14:443/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033) returns 12045
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] _WinInetDownloadFile returns 0x80072f0d.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] DownloadFile failed using https. Try http.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::DownloadFile (http://192.168.1.14:80/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033, C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::DownloadFile - Create directory [C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp] if not exist.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::_WinInetDownloadFile (http://192.168.1.14:80/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033, C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab)
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] Download from url: http://192.168.1.14:80/Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033failed with HTTP error 500
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] _WinInetDownloadFile returns 0x8000ffff.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] NetworkUtil::DownloadFile(http://192.168.1.14:80, Connect/default.aspx?Get=Setup.cab&64bit=1&LanguageId=1033, C:\Users\EAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup.cab) failed with hr = 0x8000ffff.
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 17c0] CComputerconnector::Run: Task: Id=1 Failed
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::ConnecttingDlgProc: DIALOG_UPDATE: ServerNotFound
      [11/26/2015 21:38:17 1798] CComputerconnector::ServerDlgProc: IDD_SERVER Page Initialization
      [11/26/2015 21:42:20 1798] wmain: End of Computerconnector: hr=0x0
    • sitsekson
      By sitsekson
      Hi,

I have an HP E485, PP3 with all the updates.  It's working fine, but something happened over the last year when my folder containing files for the connector has disappeared from the Software folder.  I have one Win 7 64 bit PC with connector installed and working and that's it.  All of the new computers with Win 7 I couldn't install it due to the lack of install files. 

I searched the internet and found the WHSconnector.msi and WHSconnector_x64.msi files dated 1/10/2011.  however all other files in the folder setup.exe, WHSconnctorinstall.exe etc. are dated 10/7/2009.  So if i ran an install, i get an error after it asks me to enter password.  BTW, it shows me the correct password tip that i have setup years earlier.  When i run troubleshooter, it tells me that the version of the connector i am trying to use is different than the version installed on the WHS server.  Attached, please 

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Alexander