RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AMD Bulldozer is out...

Guest no-control

:lol:

I know AMD is normally cheaper but usually if you add about 20%, you get a much better product. So I am surprised AMD is talked about as much as it is.

Ryan Shrout was reviewing them with Allyn Malventano on the most recent TWiCH and they were both impressed with the gaming performance. They said that the CPU power is not a huge win, but the onboard graphics are surprisingly good, and since today's games are all about GPU, it's a pretty good technology. Not that I'll be buying any ;)

Guest no-control

The [H]ardOCP crew weren't as easily impressed on gaming performance.

Or Desktop computing performance either

While the on chip graphics may be decent at best. For gaming you're joking right? No one in their right mind is or will be gaming on an APU anytime soon. Given that I just finished testing GPU performance with BF3 (the current top graphics game available) and it hosed my top tier discreet GPU ( a 1GHz 6970). APUs have a long way to go, think 2-3 generations minimum.

IMO this is a flop and for the money the 2500k or 2600k are definitely better options. The cost difference for motherboards is now a non issue making AMD a poor price / performance ratio for mid to high end PC

I also forgot to bring up the additional operating cost due to higher power consumption and heat output.

Edited by no-control

I was looking forward to some competition, but after looking at the initial benches and pricing.

All I'm gonna say is

dozer2.jpg

I see one picture is truly worth a thousand words :)

I haven't read the article; I was listening to Ryan & Patrick talking about it. I got the impression they (especially Ryan) were pleasantly surprised, but you may hear if differently. Would be interesting to know.

BTW, I know you're know yankin' my chain. I'm just channeling old western movies :)

Guest no-control

Sometimes I cringe when I listen to TWICH or Tekzilla. they mean well and usually offer pretty good advice and info, but sometimes they're waaaay off.