RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Library MIA

Commodore

Has anyone else experienced a blank Media Library after a reboot? You remote access in and the media libraries are empty with all the file shares present. I can get all the content back by going to Dashboard Server Settings and disabling and re-enabling Media Sharing. Ather that it is all good until the next reboot.

I have seen some other web postings on this but no permanent fixes. Any ideas?

Can't say that I have seen this at all. I have not rebooted in a while but I'm sure I would have noticed this.

Are your drives going to sleep?

Not rebooting? There are about 8 about out today for WHS; both versions.

I have something kinda like this on my HTPC, but only periodically. After waking up from sleep, sometimes the WMC says there are no files in the media library. All I have to do is close down WMC and restart it and the libraries are there again. I am wondering if this is happening because the WHSv1 is rebooted while WMC on the HTPC is still running.

The drives are definetly not going to sleep.

I do not reboot often however it was required with the most recent Windows Update. This is the only the second time I have experienced this issue but it should never happen.

I had this Media Library problem. It was a real head-scratcher. I finally re-did the server install and setup, taking each step deliberately. I wish I could tell you exactly what the problem was, but I still don't know. The only thing I know is that starting from scratch finally got it working. I played with the router, resetting it, rebooting it. Tried UPnP on | off...who know? Right now, it's all working. But I had set up remote alerts (email), and once or twice a week I get a notification saying that the router is not set up correctly. I am totally at a loss with this. Fortunately, everything still works. It's just that WHS 2011 is tripping over this. So, fortunately, I'm not one who needs remote access very often. Actually, pretty much never. I have my Subsonic server on the box and that works fine, mostly.

I don't know if this is related or not but a fix for alot of media sharing files gone/excluded is below. This worked for me and several others.

1)

Please try server reboot.

2)After reboot, turn off media streaming from server dashboard.

3)Stop the "windows media player network sharing service"

4)Rename the "currentdatabase_" file in C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

5)Start the "windows media player network sharing service"

6)Turn on media streaming from server dashboard.Immediately, the database file is recreated.

In fact I did add ForeFront recently, but I can't be certain that was when the trouble started. However I just did a reboot to add the current updates and no problem with the media library.