RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Some SSD questions

Jesse

Hello,

I am finishing up a new gaming/workstation build and I am using a 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD for the C drive. As per OCZ's suggestions I set the board to AHCI and installed the OS, the intel chipset inf utility, the VGA drivers and ran the windows experience index.

I have verified that trim is activated and that defrag is disabled (for the C drive). I am going to disable indexing on the C drive only, and move the index to the spinning data drive. I will also check on prefetch and superfetch.

With 16 GB of memory I was curious as to how much space windows would allocate to the page file. It was 16 GB. I changed it to a fixed 2 GB. Any reason this should be a problem?

So, on to my main questions:

Should I move the SSD to sata port 0? If so, why?

Should I install the intel RST drivers or stick with the windows drivers?

How about hybrid sleep? I know this is a mix of sleep and hibernation and I would like to use it, but I have read here and there that hibernation should be disabled when using an SSD. Will WHS 2011 wake a machine in hybrid sleep for a backup?

Should I shut down system restore? Yes, WHS backs things up every day, but system restore is pretty handy at times.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Jesse

If this was a new install of Win7 to the SSD, Win7 should have automatically done the settings to optimise for SSD.

The issue with System Restore is really one of disk space. If you can live with the loss of space, then it is pretty handy to have.

I don't think the disk needs to be on port 0. I usually put the optipical drive on port 0 and my OS on port 1. I have never seen anything that suggests one is better than the other. But I have seen problems when using higher numbered ports.

I have used the RST drivers but I have read where some have had problems with them.

I have never heard of hybrid sleep. I do let my computer sleep though. I haven't had any problems with it.

I left system restore on. If you are concerned with it taking too much space just reduce the space allocated to it.

I move the paging, user temp, and system temp files to a spindle drive to prevent getting too much data on the SSD. Another consideration is moving your user folders to the spindle drive. I do not do that but I am careful to not copy anything large to my SSD. Therefore I have set up a few user folders on the spindle for larger files.

Make sure you run the windows experience index (or whatever it is called) as it is supposed to optimize windows for an SSD when it is ran.

• Like 1

I just went through most of what you are talking about. I have an Intel 160 SSD. I ran CrystalMark tests before and after I made modifications to the Registry and MsConfig. I found out that one of my mod's killed my scores and went to do a restore point-that didn't do it, so I did a WHS v1 Restore-Failed!!!. My clone failed to make it boot-able. Now what? I was able to get the SSD to take a virgin Win7 install in hoping that Trim needed to do it's thing. Still working on this.

You should not need a paging file since you have ton's of Ram. I say that you are on the right track on the Mod's to make, but go slow and test it one at a time. Use CrystalMark to check your results. http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

I am running the Intel RST drivers, since my drive is Intel. So that is a no brainer. Can't tell you how OCZ will respond to those drivers.

Interesting, RST has the ability to reset the drive, but I must be running Windows on a different drive to wipe it.

I followed the Optimizing guide from SSD review. http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

One of those setting changes killed my scores. Don't know which one it was yet.

My advise is so far. Don't tinker too much.

I just went through most of what you are talking about. I have an Intel 160 SSD. I ran CrystalMark tests before and after I made modifications to the Registry and MsConfig. I found out that one of my mod's killed my scores and went to do a restore point-that didn't do it, so I did a WHS v1 Restore-Failed!!!. My clone failed to make it boot-able. Now what? I was able to get the SSD to take a virgin Win7 install in hoping that Trim needed to do it's thing. Still working on this.

You should not need a paging file since you have ton's of Ram. I say that you are on the right track on the Mod's to make, but go slow and test it one at a time. Use CrystalMark to check your results. http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

I am running the Intel RST drivers, since my drive is Intel. So that is a no brainer. Can't tell you how OCZ will respond to those drivers.

Interesting, RST has the ability to reset the drive, but I must be running Windows on a different drive to wipe it.

I followed the Optimizing guide from SSD review. http://thessdreview....zation-guide-2/

One of those setting changes killed my scores. Don't know which one it was yet.

My advise is so far. Don't tinker too much.

I am not familiar with that web site but a lot of their suggestions (disabling defrag, disabling fetch, and a couple others) do not need to be done as W7 is supposed to do that automatically. The article isn't that old but it seems outdated.

I am not familiar with that web site but a lot of their suggestions (disabling defrag, disabling fetch, and a couple others) do not need to be done as W7 is supposed to do that automatically. The article isn't that old but it seems outdated.

Agreed to the outdated statement. Only caveat is that it must be a fresh install of Win7, not a restore or clone of an existing spinning disk install.

I agree with ikon. Fresh is best. I'll just add that if you do want to use a clone/restore, you can use SSD Tweaker for Windows to do the basic settings. I've used it, and will again as the need arises. Mouse over the individual tweaks and you'll get a description of what each does. Then check that defrag is disabled for the SSD.

Hello,

I am finishing up a new gaming/workstation build and I am using a 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD for the C drive. As per OCZ's suggestions I set the board to AHCI and installed the OS, the intel chipset inf utility, the VGA drivers and ran the windows experience index.

I have verified that trim is activated and that defrag is disabled (for the C drive). I am going to disable indexing on the C drive only, and move the index to the spinning data drive. I will also check on prefetch and superfetch.

With 16 GB of memory I was curious as to how much space windows would allocate to the page file. It was 16 GB. I changed it to a fixed 2 GB. Any reason this should be a problem?

So, on to my main questions:

Should I move the SSD to sata port 0? If so, why?

Should I install the intel RST drivers or stick with the windows drivers?

How about hybrid sleep? I know this is a mix of sleep and hibernation and I would like to use it, but I have read here and there that hibernation should be disabled when using an SSD. Will WHS 2011 wake a machine in hybrid sleep for a backup?

Should I shut down system restore? Yes, WHS backs things up every day, but system restore is pretty handy at times.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Jesse

Here is my input.

1. I would only use a 2 Gig Fixed page file. You do not need any more than that so leave what you have.

2. Use any of the Intel ports as the drive boot sequence is int the BIOS so it does not matter. Do use the Marvel or other controller

3. The Intel RST drivers are lousy at best and are only useful for RAID. Leave the Windows drivers if you do not need raid. If you install them you will not be able to update firmware on your OCZ.

4. No issues as long as it works. Not sure why you want hybrid sleep but as long as it works you should be OK. The issue has always been the extra writes but you should be fine.

5. I leave my restore on. Many times something gets messed up on an install or sometihing and you do not want to go through the time consuming process. Unless you are hard up for space, I would leave it on. Saved my bacon a bunch of times.

Good luck and enjoy your SSD.

Hello,

Thanks for all the info.

I have gone ahead and disabled indexing of the SSD and moved the index itself over to the spinning data drive.

I did more reading at the OCZ site, and they recommend letting windows do what it will with prefetch and superfetch. I am taking their advice.

All of my drives are attached to intel ports so no worries with inferior controllers mucking things up. If there is no good reason for switching ports then I won't. This is not the only place I have found negative comments about the intel RST drivers so I will just stick with the MS drivers Win7 installed.

I have not enabled hybrid sleep yet, but I plan to. I am going to leave system restore on as well.

I just hope I don't have any trouble with this drive. I bought it for my wife's dell laptop and it crashed hard - twice. The second time I could not get any of my machines to recognize the drive at all and ended up going through the RMA process. They sent me a brand new drive as a replacement. My wife wants no part of it, so it ended up in my new box. :)

Thanks again.

Jesse

Hello,

Thanks for all the info.

I have gone ahead and disabled indexing of the SSD and moved the index itself over to the spinning data drive.

I did more reading at the OCZ site, and they recommend letting windows do what it will with prefetch and superfetch. I am taking their advice.

All of my drives are attached to intel ports so no worries with inferior controllers mucking things up. If there is no good reason for switching ports then I won't. This is not the only place I have found negative comments about the intel RST drivers so I will just stick with the MS drivers Win7 installed.

I have not enabled hybrid sleep yet, but I plan to. I am going to leave system restore on as well.

I just hope I don't have any trouble with this drive. I bought it for my wife's dell laptop and it crashed hard - twice. The second time I could not get any of my machines to recognize the drive at all and ended up going through the RMA process. They sent me a brand new drive as a replacement. My wife wants no part of it, so it ended up in my new box. :)

Thanks again.

Jesse

You can change ports at will by the way. BIOS looks at drive ID not the port. Changing it even after an install will not mess things up. Never had issues with Gen 2 OCZ though I have several with Gen 1. Good luck and enjoy.