RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 & iPad / iPhone

mArBLe

I am in the works of building myself a Windows Home Sever, using the 2011 version.

However, I have got one question I have not yet found a good answer for. How would I set WHS 2011 up, for me being able to access files (not just music and videos, but documents, e-books etc.) on my iPad 2 / iPhone from the server?

Watching videos I almost never do on my tablet or phone but instead on my HTPC's around the house. What I actually do the most on the tablet is using it for e-books and other documents or files and I want to be have a nice way of accessing these from the server, as I want to be able to store everything on the server.

Does any one know of any good guides for setting this up?

How have you solved this?

It seems to work natively for me but i recommend you get file browser for the ipad as you can use it to open the files on the ipad as neccesary. Also would suggest QuickOffice pro for office docs.

• Like 1

I don't have an iPad but I do have a Samsung Tab 10.1 and I use ES File Explorer and it works great. I would suggest going to the Apple App Store and searching for file explorer applications and download say the top 5 and try them out and go with the one you like the best.

Thank you for your responses.

This is the first step to get solved, to only get access to the files, e.g. e-books, word documents, excel files etc.

However, when driving home from work yesterday I figured that it actually would be really neat to have, not necessarily syncing (even though this would be cool to have also), but being able to open say a Word document on the iPad, edit it and when saving it, it gets saved directly on the server (where it was opened from in the first place).

Do you know of any way to achieve the above?

Maybe you even know a way of having files on your WHS 2011 box and have them get synced to your tablets and mobile phones?