RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking to Replace my Aging DLink Dir 655 V1 Router

PCEddie

Hey All,

I have been thinking for the past month of upgrading my aging (3 year old) DLink DIR 655 router. It has served me well but the addition of my iPad 2 which adds to the current count of 14 devices attached to my network, I feel it is time to upgrade to a dual band router. I have been looking at different reviews on the web (Amazon, NewEgg, and Google search) but I have not found a router that stands out. My price range is up to $150.

What I am looking for are as follows:

gigabit ports

2.4 and 5 GHz wireless N

clean admin software (I remote into the router directly)

stream Netflix and soon iCloud

able to handle a lot of network traffic

able to setup vpn access (not a deal breaker but would be nice)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

My vote is for the Linksys e3000 or e4200. For ultimate stability with either of these, use DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. It's very simple to install. Both have dual-band and gigabit ports. I believe the e4200 has an extra internal antenna (3x3 vs 2x2) so theoretically it has a higher possible throughput, but only if you have the newest wireless adapters that support it. The only other thing to remember is that if you decide to go with Tomato firmware, it currently does not have support for the 5ghz channel on the 4200 (will probably be soon though).

For long term, I would go for the e4200 and use the stock firmware for now and then upgrade to Tomato when it supports 5ghz, IMHO. I'm sure you'll get a ton of opinions on this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation nlitend1 for Linksys e3000 or e4200. That is one of the routers I was looking at earlier this evening.

My one question has to do with wanting gigabit ports? Why? If it's just so that wireless clients that connect at more than 100Mbit can get the best throughput, I think it's fine. However, I am not a fan of using wireless routers as network switches. In my experience, they are not up to the job. I always install a real Ethernet switch. I only use 1 of a wireless routers LAN ports, and I use it only to connect the router to the network; I connect it directly to an Ethernet switch. Just my 2 cents...

NP on the feedback ikon. I currently have a small 8 port gigabit switch to network a few computers and have one cat 6 network cable to connect the switch to the DLink DIR 655 router.

So far one vote Linksys router. Anyone else have an opinion a good wireless N dual band router?

NP on the feedback ikon. I currently have a small 8 port gigabit switch to network a few computers and have one cat 6 network cable to connect the switch to the DLink DIR 655 router.

So far one vote Linksys router. Anyone else have an opinion a good wireless N dual band router?

cool about the switches.

I think you're good with Linksys, DLink or Netgear. But, they all make good ones, and they all make bad ones. Find ones you think are candidates and look for user reviews/votes.

Let's face it, they all make good hardware, and for me the difference lies within the interface and how easily it is to navigate and get the job done. D-Link can be one of the most confusing out there, at least for me coming from a Linksys perspective.