RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Networking for WHS2011

msdn8163

Hi all,

Could anyone point me to, or document the virtual networking setup in Hyper-V 2008 R2 that is suggested to make WHS2011 function on the platform? I have two Nics on my Hyper-V 2008 R2 machine. I won't waste your time with the issues I'm having, the fact is I don't know the right way to configure this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by msdn8163

Many thanks! I've been through the documents and configured the connections as I would expect. I am still having the same issues. My VMs that run WHSv1 and WHS2011 are available... what i can't seem to get around is my network doesn't seem to find the Hyper-V machine itself that hosts the WHSv1 and WHS2011 VMs. Is this something simple that I'm missing to access the host actual machine that runs the WHS VMs? Does that make sense?

You do have two NIC's in the host, right? One for the host and one for the VM's. The networking stack in Hyper V is much more simple that VMWare but VMWare is a lot more foregiving.

One test for your VM's is to make sure they can ping other resources on the LAN and verify everyone is in the same subnet.

Many thanks! I've been through the documents and configured the connections as I would expect. I am still having the same issues. My VMs that run WHSv1 and WHS2011 are available... what i can't seem to get around is my network doesn't seem to find the Hyper-V machine itself that hosts the WHSv1 and WHS2011 VMs. Is this something simple that I'm missing to access the host actual machine that runs the WHS VMs? Does that make sense?

I had the same problem. "computer browser service" is disabled in 2008 R2 by default. Set that to service to start automatically and you should be able to see the 2008 R2 Host on the network. I'm not sure the reason it is disabled by default...(possible security?) Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I had the same problem. "computer browser service" is disabled in 2008 R2 by default. Set that to service to start automatically and you should be able to see the 2008 R2 Host on the network. I'm not sure the reason it is disabled by default...(possible security?) Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I didn't have to start that service, or any other service for that matter.

I'd look at initial subnet created for the virtual NIC. Log into the VM's and see if you can ping other resources. If not, check the NIC setup and firewall rules then start looking at services.

Just my .02

As per jmwills, I think the first step is to ensure full network compatibility. Ensure that the VM subnet is the same as the host computer's. If they aren't, they'll never see each other. Until you get the issue resolved, turn off all the firewalls and disable all anti-virus (just don't go to the web while this is all disabled). Once you have it working, start re-enabling everything, checking after each one to ensure everything is still working. In this situation, PING is your best friend :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • GRichards
      By GRichards
      We installed a new modem from CenturyLink ( Model C1100Z) and when trying to reconnect to remote web site, I get an error saying that the UPnP is not enable or the modem does not support the UPnP, I have also enable the port forwarding for the specific ports and ensure that the UPnP was enabled. I contacted tech support from CenturyLink and told me that their end was good and nothing should be stopping it from working. I was wondering if there is a work around for this issue.
    • Lundgrens
      By Lundgrens
      Hey!

What is the state of PCI passthrough on the Gen8? Hardware wise it supports IOMMU/VT-d, but I've heard people have had problems with PCI passthrough still.

Is it possible to passthrough the RAID controller to a virtual machine in ESXi or KVM?

Is it possible to passthrough a GPU to a virtual machine in ESXi or KVM?
    • TheJason
      By TheJason
      I've been successfully backing up the C: partition of my Surface Pro to my Server2012E for about a week now.  But, I haven't tried to restore it yet.  Has anybody tried this using a recovery boot usb key?  How well has it worked?
    • ThePoulsen
      By ThePoulsen
      Hi All

I'm currently planning a new business venture (I'm going to build a strategy execution platform for medium sized businesses) for this I am currently trying to decide if I want to host the tool myself, or move it to the cloud.

The features I plan on running (possibly on individual virtual clients)
      NAS for backup (mirror towards an existing HP microserver gen8 for extra backup) One or more database servers (Postgresql) Mail server for one or more domains DNS server Web server for one or more websites FTP server one or more development clients for testing purposes. The Web app will be an Apache/Python Flask/postgresql LAMP stack. I am not anticipating thousands of concurrent users, but plan on selling locally (Denmark) where a success would be 100-200 daily users. so the load will be relatively small.

I am looking at several dell servers, and I am having a hard time sizing my requirements.

would a Xeon E3-1245V5 be sufficient for 5-15 virtual machines given 64 GB memory
      which RAID level should I be looking into? speed should not be an issue, so I am thinking that a simple mirror between two drives should be suficcient, combined with external clone.

Any thoughts?