RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Kid proofing the network?

axoid

I wanted to put this out to the crowd to get some additional ideas.

The wife wants to get our 6 year old a computer. I’m ok with idea but I want to keep the kid from getting to things on the network that I don’t want and block all but a white list of websites on the internet. But I don’t want to effect the adults access.

I’m thinking of setting up a second wireless router for the kid and lock it down, while leaving the main router set for the grown ups.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• JediTim

You can control network access by user name/password which would be the best way. As for tightening down the internet access that is a bit more complicated and most routers do not do a good job of that. You will need third party software or a smart router such as pfSense or Untange to filter sites. Parental control software is probably the easiest way.

Sit next to the kid when he / she is using the computer and pay attention to what they are doing. It's free and you get to spend time interacting with the kid.

Seriously though, I have a 6 (7 in 3 weeks) year old daughter. She uses my computer with her own logon. She has very specific rules on what she is allowed to do and what sites she can visit. The computer sits in a public area (our dining room) and I can see at any time what she is doing. She has tried to sign up for the pay version of the free kids websites and lost her access to my computer for a while so she learns quickly the boundaries. I am sure this won't last as she gets older but it works for me right now.

I hope this topic gets a lot of attention as it is something I am going to be dealing with going forward.

I have a 5 yr. old that has a computer in her room, for learning games and such, and for the moment I just carry a usb wireless card

in there if there is something she needs access online. We of course stay with her while she's online to make sure she doesn't click on anything, but in the

long term I'd like something a little more permanent.

The Windows Live parental controls are free and supposedly pretty good, but I haven't tried those yet.

This is also why I think I am going to start using MyMovies, so I can give her access to all the G movies and hide the others from her entirely..

I currently use OpenDNS which "was" blocking access to all offending websites and I could also prevent specific websites from being access. Sadly, it no longer blocks the sites and I'm not sure why. I think the problem maybe a second router I installed to get a better wireless signal in the house.

Once I do get it figured out I will be pleased...it really did work well.

I used ClarkConnect as my firewall/UTM to auto-filter sites from my kids. Today I have Untangle. It's set only to put up a warning page that I can Unblock For Now by clicking a button. Not sure if it can be configured to not give that option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can, maybe even by IP or username.

To add to this, make sure the user account you give the child has very minimal rights. They should not have the ability to make ANY configuration chnages.

Here's a novel idea.....give them a book to read. :D

This of course comes from someone with 7 computers listed in his signature :) Of course I'm joking...luckily my 9 year old enjouys reading...either books or his Kindle.

Edited by JediTim