• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows has 2 different environments for install one of which is a special EFI install for EFI machines which offers a much faster bootime (in my case it was sub 10 seconds). GPT is a requirement for an EFI install so there isn't a need to make that distinction. You can format a GPT partition for an os install (3TB HDD anyone?) and not use the EFI version of windows. If you have a uEFI motherboard & GPT partition and use the EFI version of windows You have an EFI installation.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It helped.

Can't wait to get my new hardware and check all this out. Either way I choose (BIOS or uEFI) I'm sure it'll be faster than the load times I'm getting now. Plus, I'll finally have a 6Gb/s connector for my SATAIII Crucial.

Windows has 2 different environments for install one of which is a special EFI install for EFI machines which offers a much faster bootime (in my case it was sub 10 seconds). GPT is a requirement for an EFI install so there isn't a need to make that distinction. You can format a GPT partition for an os install (3TB HDD anyone?) and not use the EFI version of windows. If you have a uEFI motherboard & GPT partition and use the EFI version of windows You have an EFI installation.

I've never seen this installer for Windows. How do you invoke it?

Can you guys take a look at this list and tell me what you think? This would replace my main PC which is currently a Q9550 Socket 775 system. The i5-2500K may or may not get swapped out for an i7-2600K, depending on funds. The biggest question is the board. I think it's probably fine since I'm not going to be over-clocking. I'm also not concerned if it doesn't have ob RAID. It has uEFI and a couple 6Gb/s SATA connectors.

Also, is there any reason I should not use uEFI at this time? I'm looking forward to faster boot times which I understand it provides.

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58 Black CECC Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$69.99 $55.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

$219.99

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

$54.99

ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$104.99

Configuration looks good. I actually have this case and for the price it is pretty nice. I would not waste my time on EFI boot as you will not be able to backup. Most present day backup software does not work with EFI. If it where me, I would go with an SSD for OS using standard MBR. Went several rounds with this and lets just say it is not ready for prime time. You can usually set this option in the BIOS on most current day boards even the Gigabyte boards with the standard BIOS. When I tested it, saw very marginal difference in boot times so added to the fact you can not backup or restore, I considered it a dud.

Probably by switching the motherboard to uEFI before the installation?

That isn't it as I have UEFI and it didn't ask me to install windows any differently.

It could be if you have UEFI and a GPT disk then it may ask you or do it automatically I guess. I use an SSD so no GPT for me.

That isn't it as I have UEFI and it didn't ask me to install windows any differently.

It could be if you have UEFI and a GPT disk then it may ask you or do it automatically I guess. I use an SSD so no GPT for me.

It does not happen automatically, it is usually buried in the BIOS under the boot section. It is not obvious as it is under the CD/DVD section where you can choose from 3 choices but it has been in every Gigabyte and Asus board for quite a while at leas for the past year.

not what I sad. It isn't an option when installing windows. Its an option before installing windows. Its a setting in the EFI interface of the board. confirming the setting will usually reboot to the installer. It is on the Windows installer disk explore it and you'll find the EFI folder.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HTPC GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 1-1-2012

Parts List HTPC:

1 GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

1 SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1 Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

1 LITE-ON 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner with 3D Playback iHBS212-08 LightScribe Support

1 IOGEAR GKM561R Black 2.4GHz Wireless HTPC Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel

1 SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / 0.8mm SECC Grandia Series GD05B micro-ATX / Mini-DTX / Mini-ITX MB, 1x5.25", 2x3.5"+1x2.5"HDD or 1x3.5"+2x2.5"HDD, 3x120mm golf bladed fan, 11" expansion card capable HTPC Case

1 USB 3.0 Module Part Number: 14G000516101

References:
      1 Arctic Silver Manual for i5 Sandy Bridge (2nd Generation i5)

Extra Software:

1 Allawy Sync

Other items that I already had:
      1 Artic Silver 5
      1 Artic Silver CAN-60ML (2-PC-Set) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

After the build I added the Logitech C910 I had to the setup.

This build was essentially the same as my previous HTPC build. The following items were changed from the previous build: CPU, RAM, OS drive, Data drive, Keyboard.

As with my previous build I can hardly say enough good things about this build. When I first started up the new build I ran Prime95 for a substantial amount of time and was seeing maximum temps like shown below after continuous running for 2 hrs (my intention was to cook it).

Shortly after this run and a number of reboots I again turned on the Hardware monitor for 4 days and got some amazingly low temps when the build was idle and not so bad temps when the build was running 100%

The minimum on Core#4 was 20C while the max on Core#2 was 49C. Note also the idle temp on the 30EZRX was 25C – this is consistent with the lower drive temps I’m seeing on the 20EZRX’s I put into my server last month.

I am using the Stock CPU cooler which for the i5 is about the same size as the one for the i3 but the base of the coolers are different – the i5 Stock cooler is heavier I believe and the base is copper while the base for the i3 cooler appeared to be aluminum. The Stock cooler for the i5 is quite silent and overall the case is pretty quiet.

My Windows Performance index is higher in all categories but the biggest jump is with the HD3000 graphics in the i5-2500K.

Here is my System Information Page:

I’m finding this build to be quite solid and stable.

The performance of the Cricial M4 has been outstanding (this is a HTPC so I'm mostly concerned about the read speeds -- but the write speeds aren't shabby either):

While the Data drive WD30EZRX is pretty good and gives me plenty of space to back up my OS drive, store recorded TV programs, and do some testing with AllwaySync to back up some files from my Server.

You can see in the picture below the copper based heat sink and the CPU – you may noticed that both have been cleaned and tinted and the Artic Silver 5 has been applied (in a relatively straight line) in preparation for mounting the heat sink.

In the next picture you see the inside wiring before the Hard Drive assembly and the BluRay assembly are mounted onto the case.

So, after some finishing touches:

I am ready to install:

I really like this machine – the performance is exceptional and the power usage at idle is a respectable 35-40W. It has been very solid so far and I’m expecting to get a lot of use out of it.