RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible Network Setup

JeyNyce

Hi Guys

I'm thinking about setting up a virtual network and making one of the VMs a WHS2011. This is how the physical server will be setup:

QuadCore running @ 2.66Ghz

16Gigs Ram

12TB HD space (6x2TB drives)

I want to have a 2003 or 2008 server on it as well as a XP, Win7, WHS 2011, and Linux running on it. The VM OS with be ESXi 4.1. Is there anything I should be aware of or should look out for?

Thanks

Guest no-control

Make sure you follow the white box hardware guideline to ensure ESXi will play with you're hardware. Keep hypervisor, VMs, and data all on separate physical drives. Implement a backup solution for both the HV and VMs. Also make sure you fully understand the VM hypervisor environment before you decide to use it as a production server. I would consider a RAID solution as well for a production server to maintain uptime. Otherwise have fun.

and to add that ESXi is very "hyper" about the NIC cards you use. Just about anything Intel is ok.

Storage looks good, but I would purchase one smaller drive for the OS and another for backups of WHS. Your one drive short for what I like to do.