RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System crashes on HDMI connection

Mmetzger

So I am having a problem with a new HTPC build.

When connected to HDMI the Windows splash screen shows breifly, then the computer resets into the abonomal shutdown dialog and offers safe mode. If I boot with a VGA or DVI cable connected, the system starts normally. I can sucessfully boot into safe mode and into the BIOS with the HDMI connected.Tried two different HDMI cables, Two different HDMI devices, with out change to the symptom. AppleTV and XBOX will both drive the HDMI display with out issue.

Intel HD3000 graphic driver 8.15.10.2361

Video BIOS 2080

My build:

ASUS P8H67-M EVO

Motherboard Revision : Rev1.xx

Motherboard BIOS Revision : 5/17/2011 1702

CPU Type : i5 2500K

Memory Vendor : Corsair

Memory Model : CMX16GX3M4A133C9

Memory Capacity : 16G

HDD Vendor : OCZ

HDD Model : VTX3-25sat3-120G

HDD Capacity : 120G

Windows 7 64bit

Video BIOS 2080.0

The motherboard has been back to ASUS, and I am playing the one question a day e-mail support from ASUS.

Any ideas on what I may have missed or what else I can try?

Matt

After some digging, it seems this is a driver issue. Someone was complaining about this issue in the newegg reviews, which lead me to this page:

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/152186-problem-hdmi-tv-asus-p8h67-mobo-w-i7-hd-graphics.html

It seems the solution for those folks was to revert the driver back to : (8.15.10.2219)

Where did you get the (8.15.10.2361) driver? The (8.15.10.2219) is the one currently on ASUS' site for that board.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_EVO/#download

Hope this helps :)

I loaded the 2361 driver as part of troublshooting this issue, it came directly from the intel downloads.

Let me grab the 2219, and see what happens

Thanks

Matt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Well, I finally did it and got a 4K monitor and have attached it to my MicroServer.

Here is my list of devices that I worked with:

4K LG Monitor
      ·         LG32UD59-B 32” 4K UHD LED Monitor, 3840x2160, HDCP 2.2, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD FreeSync, On-Screen Control
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3421
      ·         8GB RAM  - Stock
      ·         Windows 10 Pro x64
      ·         OS Drive: SATA Port 1 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB loaded in Icy Dock’s EZConvert in Drive Bay 1
      ·         4K LG Monitor attached with DP cable – NOTE: 4K LG Monitor was also attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   -- both attachments seemed to work well.
      ·         SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB 2.0 External Stereo Audio Adapter
      ·         External speakers with subwoofer
      ·         Logitech K120 Keyboard with mouse
      ·         Pioneer slim external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray BDR-XD05S
      ·         CyberLink PowerDVD 18 Ultra

The monitor seems to work well in 4K mode with both the DP cable connected directly to the MS as well as the HDMI cable using a DP to HDMI converter that I used last year when working on the Beta unit.  So far so good.  

Here's a video of my experience

• Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      Recently I was issued an Asus ZenBook Touch UX31A for work and wanted to give my review after having the device for a month or so.

Tech Specs:

The configuration that my ZenBook Touch has is the following:
      Intel i5-3317U Processor ( i7-3517U offered) 8 GB RAM 1600 256 SSD  
      Performance:

The overall performance of the device is great.  It boots quickly and there never seems to be a lag.  I did see some lag in video when playing very large maps on Civilization 5 with default settings for the game with it running at 1080p resolution.  Other than some minor lag in the video the device ran great.  Seemed to handle anything I can throw at it.  I have even run complete lighting and audio controlled DJ events with the device with no issues.  Wireless has worked well and seems to hold a signal as far as my Surface Pro, which is really good in this space.

Quality:

I own a lot of hardware including a Surface Pro and a Mac Book Pro, which I would say are the best quality hardware on the market.  This is right there with all of these in my opinion.  The screen brightness is not as bright as a Surface Pro, but it is really close.  The backlit keyboard is good to have.  The case is completely aluminum, but you can open it from the bottom to service and upgrade items.  It has a solid feel and even comes with a sleeve for the machine and for the accessories bag of typical dongles that you would need for an Ultrabook including the SVGA convertor.  Screen resolution is awesome at full 1080p and IPS display.  This multi-touch screen is flawless and smooth.  I know you guys won't believe me on this one, but it actually is close to the trackpad performance of the MacBook.  It has multi-gesture support that lets you do the swiping from the trackpad or the screen.

Usability:

The device has been great for use in my lap or on a table. It is really thin and light, which makes it a pleasure to use.  Battery life has been ringing in around 4-6 hours depending on use, but it is manageable.  My only real complaint for the machine is the fact that the Aluminum bottom is cold on my legs when I wear shorts.  I have yet to really have it get hot on me as it vents much like a MacBook.  If you like a MacBook Air then this is the PC for you.  It is basically the same thing, but cheaper and with a touch screen.

Overall Impression:

This machine is in my opinion one of the best UltraBooks on the market.  It has superb build quality and with the additions of things like a TPM chip that lets me fully encrypt the drive and use Direct Access for work with no real issue, it really stands out.  I have many machines that I have owned, however this is the first time in a long time, that I have found one that was worthy of displacing my Samsung Series 9 laptop.  It has the power and beauty to do just about anything you want.  I love the serviceability of the device and think this will be staying around my house for quite some time.
    • mustangpete2010
      By mustangpete2010
      I am currently waiting on my new Lumia 920 to arrive in the mail from AT&T.

As exciting as that is, let me present my question.

I've had an HTC Evo 4g (PC36100) for the past two years, and one thing I've loved about it is the ability to hook it up to my tv via HDMI.

I know that the 920 has DLNA instead of HDMI, and I am actually considering buying a new tv for christmas.

Which brings me to the topic of my rant [slash] my question:
      Why is it so hard to find a tv (or, preferably, a projector - I know, I'm weird) that is DLNA-certified?

Retailers and manufacturers just don't list "DLNA-certified" as a feature of their products! WHYYYYYYYYY?!

Is there some date that I'm not aware has passed, after which all tvs (and projectors?) are required to be DLNA-certified?

Please, help me find a new tv or projector that I can connect my 920 to, so I can get my NetFlix on.
    • GreatTiger
      By GreatTiger
      I currently have a Toshiba Encore 8 that I really like but I wish it had an active digitizer and pen support.   I like the Dell V8P and the Asus VivoTab Note 8 for the digitizer/pen but they do not have an HDMI port. 

Just wondering if there is an 8-11" Windows 8.1 tablet or convertible device that I'm missing that has the following:
      Bay Trail chip or better HDMI out (any size) Touch screen with digitizer/pen support MicroSD storage Cost less than $500 I *had* the Samsung ATIV 500T Smart PC which had everything I needed except that the Clover Trail chipset was awful for graphics.  It had a built in pen, detachable keyboard, and HDMI out.  It did everything I needed fairly well except graphics for Starry Night astronomy software.

Is there anything new like the ATIV 500T I once had?  If it was the same thing with Bay Trail I would be happy.

Thanks

• hrboyce
      By hrboyce
      I have a surface pro 3 and would like to make it my one and only device.  I find the mobile experience is near perfect for me but docking and using it as desktop replacement is at best frustrating. The frustration comes when trying to connect 1 or 2 external monitors using either the Surface 3 dock or a third party USB doc from Pluggable, or even the mini-display port.  The problem I experience seems to be rooted in the OS and the nature of the Surface 3 Pro display.  Apologies for the long read but let me see if I can lay it out...

The background...
      The Surface by default scales/zooms the windows OS display at 200%.  This is necessary, even desired, because having all those pixels in such a small area would make the Surface near unusable if it were set to 100%.  Don't believe me try setting it going in and setting it back and doing real work in any app, if you last longer than 10min I'd be amazed and will be asking for the name of your optometrist.  The down side of this scaling is it makes the software react on the desktop and universal apps alike work as though they are running on a screen with a resolution of 1360x900.  (this explains why the Windows 10 mail app displays and works differently on the Surface than it does on your PC display by only show 2 horizontal panels instead of 3 and implements that annoying slide out folder list like it would on a Dell Venue 8 Pro with a much smaller screen).  

The problem...
      For me where this becomes a problem is that when an external monitor is attached (no matter how it is connected) there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the second monitor (in my case a 27" 1920x1080) form zooming to 200% as well because WINDOWS, even after 10 iterations, can't treat the monitor separately for this scale setting. In this mode running windows is "really in your face" so to speak and dialog boxes do not always display properly, icons and tiles are the size of post-it notes, etc.

Yes... I can take the 5 or more minutes it takes to fight my way through all the clicks to return it to a scale of 100% and set a preferable resolution and then do the required log out and log back in for it to take affect.  But when I finish all that I have now lost any real functionality on the Surface screen might supply and I still get a message saying applications may not work right due to the selected resolution and oh yeah when I am done and want to go with my Surface tablet I have to return all the settings back to the way they were originally so I can use the Surface again.  When I come back to my desk I get to start all over again.

It would seem that there aught to be a much easier way.  Something like a "docked" profile much the way tablet mode works only now it is a "docked" mode.  I am really hoping someone here will say "hey noob, why don't you just set (whatever) and it will work like you want it too".  I'll even take a registry hack or a powershell script to accomplish the same thing if they exist if it saves all the manual adjusting.

Thanks for sticking with me,,, looking forward to someone having a solution
      (get a Surface Book is not an acceptable response ).

HR