RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

since WHSv1 recovery RDP to server from internet is broken

ikon

I know you are not talking about accessing the server via web access, but does that work? I cannot even access my 495 via web and the server says remote access is available. I can get to the server web page inside my network, just can't outside. Very interested to see if someone can figure out your problem as it may help me with mine.

Are there specific settings required to RDP remotely?

Edited by Grant B

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• Grant B

• ikon

Typically, to use RDP from the internet, you have to configure your WAN router to forward port 3389 to your server. You can also use a different port # (and I recommend doing so) and have the router modify the port # and forward it to 3389 on the server.

Have you tried to hit the server directly by the IP Address?  Use http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from inside you network and then accessing the https of that address. That bypasses the Microsoft naming host. You should be able to do the same thing internally to server's local IP Address from inside your network.

That would at least verify that the webserver is up and working and the router port forwarding is working.

Ikon,

Didn't mean or expect to steal your thread - sorry. I was just asking if you could access your server via the web or if it was unavaiable at all like mine.

As for your reply - I know absolutely nothing about how to RDP into the server outside of my network or how to properly set my router up to port forward. Here I thought the problem was because my server web address starts with HTTPS... Speaking of the HTTPS, I don't remember setting it up as a secure address, I thought I originally set it up as simply HTTP. Can and should this be changed? as for all the other goodness you were referring to, is there somewhere that I can go to get the proper steps to set my access up (something for "morons" like me) :)

Axoid - I know what my server IP is inside my network - that is how I had to connect to it to download the connector software to all the clients again after I recovered the system to the "new" server. I will give the whatismyipaddress a try and see if that can help me.

Look in your router information pages, probably called "Current Status" or something similar and you will see your external IP address.  However, you will need need to open those ports (80, 443, & 3389) to get at the server.

The Web Utility creates a DNS entry within Microsoft's "Homeserver.com" domain which makes knowing your external IP a mute point.  This is what I said to remove the prevous settings, flush DNS, and double/tripe check the port forwarding on the router.  If it's still not working from a DNS standpoint, I'd try using the IP address directly.

https://myexternalapaddress:4125 (It may be 1725 for 2011)  Haven't verified this.

and this should get you in.  If not, I'd then reset the router to factory defaults and start over again.

GrantB, each router maker uses somewhat different terminology and different page layouts for configuring port forwarding. Therefore, step-by-step instructions for setting up a port forward can only be made for a specific make & model of router.

I also want to differentiate between Remote Web Access and Remote Desktop Protocol. Although related, there are differences. For example, as jmwills pointed out, RWA uses different ports than RDP: 80 & 443 vs 3389.

Any ideas where I can find that info for a Cisco DPC3825?

Also, the RWA worked until I had to change servers... would the difficulties lie there and/or the fact that I think it is connected via a different internal IP? Should I check to see if the old IP was saved?

It stopped becasue the new server picked up a new IP Address and the ports were forwarded to the old IP Address.

Your User Guide.

Go to the Applications & Gaming Tab and then to Port Forwarding.  Make sure that your sever either has a DHCP reservation (preferred) or a Static IP.  Use that address to forward the ports needed.

Yes. Having a DHCP Reserved or Static IP would have avoided the issues with RWA, provided you had modified the DHCP Server to issue the same Reserved IP to the new server as was issued to the old server.

Haven't had time to check all that out but I could access the server off the app on my iphone today... Could it have "fixed" itself?