RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Disk FULL: 11 GB log file

Loxodrome

Help!!

I have an HP MediaSmart server (v1 EX475 ??) . And the System Disk is full.

The c drive is a 20 GB partition.

I did some investigation and found an 11 GB .log file in this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\

namde chkdsk_c__fs_X.log

It has today's date.

Does anyone one know what this is?

Can I delete it?

Thanks in advance

-jon

CHKDSK is a built in Windows utility to check the health of drives. Not certain, but I owuld run a chkdsk on that drive and verify no issues, and if you have none, delete the file. Or at least, off load the file to one of the data drives.

Can you post the contents of the log file.

No no no just kidding.

I recall this hapening on my V1 machine (not that big a file though about 2gig as I recall)

I just deleted the folder contents and the server started a new one of much more manageable proportions.

From memory I think I deleted the contents of the log file from within the interface where the log file is compiled (sys info or similar)

ie. not with explorer

Just reread your original post. Have you run Chkdsk recently? if not the drive may be reporting a lot of issues to that log file.

Best to check the contents of the log file before deleting. If is showing a stack of errors, run Chkdsk again as Mr Wills suggests and be prepared to stump up the cash for a new drive.

Can you post the contents of the log file.

No no no just kidding.

ROTFLMAO :D :D OMG, at 2000 characters/pg I figure that's around 5.5 million pages!!!

Yes, you can delete all the log files in that folder, some will not delete because they are being used. WHS will rebuild the ones it needs.

That folder is used to help you find out about any issues you may have with your server. So the large folder is happening for a reason and will continue to come back if the problem is not resolved. Also check Event Viewer to see why this is happening. You can also clear Event Viewer and it will rebuild.

Check out MediaSmartServer.net and do a search for the folder path to find many issues that others had.

Thanks for all the comments. I am copying the log file over to a data drive, and then I will open it up and review the contents.

The server is very slow right now with 0 mb free space on the sys drive.

Once I review the log,I will either run CHKDSK or just delete the file.

-Jon

Thanks for all the comments. I am copying the log file over to a data drive, and then I will open it up and review the contents.

The server is very slow right now with 0 mb free space on the sys drive.

Once I review the log,I will either run CHKDSK or just delete the file.

-Jon

BTW, I like your avatar. Looks like red is in a bit of trouble..... :)

I don't know if any of you are redditors, but a couple weeks ago there was a guy that was getting some errors while trying to access the site. Turns out he was trying to write an application to access reddit when he screwed up and it started downloading the whole thing, every day. He was downloading about 40GB of data every day, 1.2TB/month

http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/k40jt/crosspost_from_rmodhelp_and_rhelp_help_reddit/