RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Indexing on Windows 7

pcdoc

Thanks for all the replies. The work arounds that AlexF stated will get me buy but full share search is still painfully slow. This is something that MS should address as it was in previous versions of Windows, most notibly Vista.

I thank AlexF for his input and concur with pcdoc's assessment of the workarounds and the need for MS to address this issue.

As for me, it looks like the solution to this problem rests upon my convoluted backup scheme wherein I mirror all the user data files from my server to a local drive in order to perform incremental backups using Ghost 15 (made necessary by the woefully inadequate backup capabilities native to WHS). I indexed this local drive and can now quickly find what I'm looking for. It ain't elegant, but it works!!!

> full share search is still painfully slow.

In my case, I have 3000 documents on my WHS-shared folders - the search is near instant from my Windows 7 client.

> I mirror all the user data files from my server to a local drive in order to perform incremental backups

I use SyncToy (same back-end as Offline Files) to copy files on external hard-disk attached to WHS. I keep three target directories on that external hard-disk, each time using a different target directory in circular manner, thus allowing me to have a history of documents in case I need to go back to an older version without the fuss of incremental backup software.

"I use SyncToy (same back-end as Offline Files) to copy files on external hard-disk attached to WHS. I keep three target directories on that external hard-disk, each time using a different target directory in circular manner, thus allowing me to have a history of documents in case I need to go back to an older version without the fuss of incremental backup software."

How interesting. Is this an entirely automated process? I mean, do you need to manually point to the target directory? Do you rotate on a weekly basis?

> How interesting. Is this an entirely automated process?
In my case, no, because I need to connect the external drive and run a (visual) preview before performing the actual sync.

> I mean, do you need to manually point to the target directory? Do you rotate on a weekly basis?
No, you define a profile, "folder pair name", and that profile defines all your configuration options defining the sync. You can then run SyncToyCmd -R <folder pair name>.

If you have external driver permanently attached then you can use Windows Scheduler to schedule a different folder pair for differnt day or week to achieve round-robin.

See these: Using SyncToy to make a nightly mirror of My Documents & Schedule SyncToy to Run and Automatically and Repetitively