RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Indexing on Windows 7

pcdoc

Discovered recently that Windows 7 no longer indexes network drives on WHS. Apparently an oversight by MS. Anyone have an issue with this or discovered a work around. It is not much of an issue for me but I know some folks that are suffering with it.

New feature of WDS4 is that it uses "Remote Queries" to query other computers running WDS4 for the search string - there's no need to specifically index networked drives.

[sorry if off-topic - I have not been able to make WDS4 on WHS index PDF files - even though IFilter is installed (I can confirm using IFilter Explorer), neither IFilter from Reader 8.2 nor Adobe's IFilter Pack actually indexes the PDFs. Any clue? (FoxIT want $699 for their server-specific IFilter v2.0.)]

Well, I just installed FoxIT Server 30 day Trial - indexes perfectly and can search from my Windows 7 (client) perfectly. Very fast too.

Has anyone success with IFilter from Reader or IFilter Pack?

I have WDS 4 on the WHS however it is not clear how that helps the client. Are you guys suggesting WDS for the client side?

If WDS4 has already indexed folders on WHS which it is sharing it don't make sense for your client to be re-indexing them as network shares. Instead, local (in your machine) WDS4 will use Remote Discovery to find other machines running WDS4 and then during a local search request is able to issue Remote Query to WDS4 on WHS to obtain remote search results.

Remote Discovery and Query works for me. My issue is that I can't get WDS4 on WHS to index PDFs.

Uninstalled FoxIT IFilter, installed Adobe Read 9.3.1 and rebuilt the Index.

IFilter from v9.x.x works with WDS4 but is a turtle compared to indexing with FoxIT.

However, more disturbing, with v9.x.x I didn't find all occurances of searched text that I know are in certain PDFs. The pattern I see is that Word 2007-generated PDFs aren't registered by Adobe's IFilter, yet are registered by FoxIT's. However, after I renamed the above file and then back again, WDS did find it... Since WDS4 is sensitive to file operations, I guess it re-indexed and this time did register the searched text in question.

Another discovery - seems Microsoft's own IFilter for Office (2007), FilterPackx86.exe, is unpredictable somewhat. I can find "adequate supply of Calcium" but not "An adequate supply of Calcium" - in former case, WDS returns other files (PDFs I have) containing this search string but not the docx.

If I understand AlexF correctly, running WDS4 on the client side is the answer here as I do have it installed on my WHS. However, when I try to install it on my Windows 7 64-bit client I am informed that "The update is not applicable to your computer", whereupon the installation halts.

Perhaps WDS4 comes with Windows 7. If this is the case I am at a loss because none of the mapped drives or folders on my WHS appear when I go into into Indexing Options. Only local and external drives appear in the Indexed Locations window. I don't see any options for Remote Discovery.

Threads I have read on this subject elsewhere instruct to set the mapped server drives you wish to index to "Always Available Offline". When I tried this I was dismayed to discover that all the files on said drives are synced to my C drive - not a practical solution in my case as we are talking some several hundred gigs of data!

Finally, from what I have read the ability to index WHS files existed in previous versions of Windows. Looks like I have downgraded in this instance. . .

> Perhaps WDS4 comes with Windows 7.
It does.

> If this is the case I am at a loss because none of the mapped drives or folders on my WHS appear when I go into into Indexing Options. Only local and external drives appear in the Indexed Locations window.
This is normal. As I said, with WDS4 indexing network shares by a client don't makes sense. (Of course, that means that all sharing machines must be running WDS4)

> I don't see any options for Remote Discovery.
It's automatic with WDS4.

There are 2 ways (I know of) to search network shares:
1. add the network share to a Library and search from there
2. go to network shared folder in Windows Explorer and search from there