RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Good SATA II SSD 60 to 120GB

Dave

Hey guys,

It's about time I reloaded Win7 due to bloat and whatnot and was thinking of going SSD. I have an older Mobo and can only run a SATA II speed drive. Any recommendations on an SSD around 60 to 120 GB in size? It would be nice to get a new mobo and get SATA III speeds but I'm not real excited about that expense right now.

OCZ seems to be the brand most everyone likes. I've been thinking of doing the same thing when I get back home in a few weeks.

Dave, I have used an OCZ vertex II for about 12 months now without issue.

No idea what the pricing in the US might look like.

I just installed an Agility III on my desktop which is sata 3 but the pricing in oz was great @ circa US$129 for 60GB

FYI

Hey guys,

It's about time I reloaded Win7 due to bloat and whatnot and was thinking of going SSD. I have an older Mobo and can only run a SATA II speed drive. Any recommendations on an SSD around 60 to 120 GB in size? It would be nice to get a new mobo and get SATA III speeds but I'm not real excited about that expense right now.

A little more expensive, but you could get around the SATA II speed limit by going with an OCZ RevoDrive. Just a thought...

I have three OCZ vertex II drives now and haven't had any issues. Two are about 8 months old and are in my desktop and one is about 2 months old ans is in my HTPC. Everything is working great. The two older ones are in a Raid0 and working without any problems.

I have 4 OCZ drives with a couple older drives and two Vertex II in both my main PC and my HTPC. I couldn't be more pleased with these drives. I don't think I would ever consider building another machine without a SSD drive and at this point OCZ has worked flawlessly and I will continue to use their drives.

Well, I've gone through this already. I had bought a 60G SSD (SATA II) from Microcenter (their brand). Loaded Win7 from scratch. I was very happy with it, but was always chasing my tail to keep the SSD lean. Speed was fantastic as compared to a HD. I was using a Momentus XT (Hybrid) drive. The difficulty is keeping the system clean. Folders and files grow on their own over time. I now am using an Intel X-25m 160G SSD. With a lot of manuvering around, I was able to Clone my Momentus to the Intel. I now have about 25G free on my SSD and still have to watch it. I may not get the best performance as I would of with a virgin install, but at least I don't have to start all over again.

My laptop also supports 2 HD, but don't use the 2nd bay yet. I am now utilizing an external for my extra data as well as moved most of my extra content back to my WHS-where it should be in the 1st place.

Bigger is always better.

You could look for a Used SSD, as that is what I did. Mine, found on Craigslist, was only turned on 27 times before I bought it.

If you email me, I might be able to put you in contact with the guy I bought mine from. He gets them once in a while.

Use the OCZ Vertex 2 for the best compromise of stability/reliability/performance. Had no issues with any of the V2 I have. I have 4 of the 60s, 2 of the120s, and a 240 and have been very pleased with all of them. Mailman1988 suggested an Intel drive however based on the fact it is older technology, I would rather have the Vertex 2. As for the the size, you can easily get by with the 60 if you change the suggested parameters (pagefile, temp file, recycle bin size, and internet files) as well as only install the critical apps. Obviously, the 120 is a better choice if the budget can allow it. As an alternative choice, if you do not need write performance, the M4 is good drive with good read speeds but lousy write performance.

Guest no-control

a Pair of G.Skills that I love love love

Also have a pair of OCZ Vertex

Had a triad of OCZ Solids & a Troq

the OCZ seem alright I like the G.Skill stuff the new sniper is good. But for my money I would go with either a crucial C300 or the wildfire from Patriot

Dave,

I believe the sata 3 drives are backwards compatible. If you buy a sata 3 drive now you could use it until you upgrade to a sata 3 board.

At the egg I have seen the 120 GB Vertex 3 for $199 after rebate.

Jesse

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Is it possible to install any PCIe SATA card and boot from an attached SSD instead of internal MicroSD/USB/ODD?

Are there any special requirements needed to boot from an SSD connected to a cheap PCIe SATA III card?

Are there any limitations?
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • Rodf
      By Rodf
      I'm looking into replacing my desktop's old, failing HD with an SSD. I've got a Dell XPS 8700. I've look up the configuration on Dell's website, entering my machine's service tag (DK49122). I've found the component which is listed as:

KPF74 : Module,Hard Drive,1T,S3,7.2K,5 12E,#1,G-BP INFO,1ST BOOT,HARD DRIVE HD,1TB,S3,7.2K,512E,SGT-GRDABP  
      I know it's a 1 TB drive. It looks to me like it's a SATA III drive. Am I correct? 

Assuming I've correctly identified the drive, then I've found what looks like a good replacement part on Newegg which is listed like this: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E1T0B/AM

So, have a got a good replacement SSD for my machine's old HD?
    • xelent
      By xelent
      Hi there,

I've just gotten my old Proliant server out from mothballs recently to use as a Backup controller for my photographic archive. It's specs are a standard G840 2.8GHz Dual core with 16 GB of ram installed with a standard 350 watt PSU. I'm running WSE 2019 with 4x1TB HDD's installed in the 4 bay drive cage. 3 drives are formatted to RAID 0 in WSE (not embedded HP RAID) and one drive acts as the system/boot drive.

The server is surprisingly responsive given its age, with LAN transfer speeds between 84-94MBs. So has pretty much taken center stage in my backup control between my  external drives and 4x1TB RAID 0 NAS.

However, I have been wanting to attach a 256GB SSD boot drive for my OS, so that I can utilize the full capacity of my 4 bay drive. It seems that the BIOS will not let you boot any HDD/SSD off the spare SATA connection on my MB. Anyway I am hoping to eventually attach a PCIe USB 3 card to that. But in the meantime I would like to boot a separate drive other than the 4 bay one already installed.

I gather that you can install a PCIe SSD card on this machine. But it's not clear to me as to what kind of card and drive would be suitable for this server. I realize that my MB is PCIe gen 2, which will incur diminished speed compared to the latest gen 3 MBs. But should I be using NVMe or SATA m.2 drives? Or does it even matter? Also will the BIOS allow me to boot from this drive?

Thanks for taking the time.
    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.

New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.