RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
craig2432

pfSense and unTangle on HP Microserver

craig2432

This is my first post here on HSS, so please be nice. My question is, would it be possible to run pfsense and WHS2011 on a Microserver. I would of couse upgrade the ram to 8 GIG and install a dual port NIC.

The server would only be used to stream DVD's Bluerays and store photo's. No transcoding.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

jmwills

In a virtual mode, yes. In my opinion, resources such as your firewall and router (untangle and pfsense) need to be separated from other nodes on the network. If they router/firewall goes down, you have no remote access to the network.

ikon

I'm another one who likes to run his firewall/gateway/router/UTM on its own hardware, just so it is able to keep running no matter what happens to other machines on the LAN. Geek Accountant, OTOH, does a lot of VM'ing for his pfSense/Untangle installs AFAIK.

jmwills

BTW, I forget to say welcome. Lot's of helpful people here who love this product.

craig2432

Many thanks for your idea's and feed back. I have decided to take your advice and purchase 2 Micro Servers, one for the firewall and the other for WHS 2011.

Thankfuly I live in the UK so I can take advantage of the money back offer....

Again many thanks.