RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 Built with the Help from everyone on these forms

Kman

I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my WHS2011 build. It seems to now be up and stable.

I just thought I would review everything I have build and done and see if anyone has any other suggestions

First my hardware:

• Component Make Model Comment
  • Case Lian-Li PC-A70F
  • CPU Intel 2100 i3-2100
  • MoatherBoard GigiaByte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
  • Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8Gb
  • RAID Card HighPoint 2680SGL
  • RAID Cable HighPoint INT-MS-1M4S
  • CPU FAN Corsair A70
  • Power Supply Corsair AX850
  • 4x Hard Drives Western Digital WD30EZRX Used on HighPoint
  • 2x Hard Drives Hitachi OSO3339 Used on Icy Dock
  • 2x Hard Drives Seagate ST32000542AS Data and Backup
  • Network Card D-link DGE-530T Problems with MB NIC

Here is how I split up all the disk

Icy Dock with its 699Gb RAID1 of space

60Gb as the OS

639Gb Must have data

Seagate 1.8Tb space used for client backups, and assorted other data music and apps and assorted other stuff

Seagate2 if the backup 1.8Tb of space you can use for your backups this backups up my OS drive and my must have data along with some other things but I see it’s a challenge to make sure it’s not full

Next the HighPoint Raid that took me a week to get it to complete the build but it’s done now and has a full 8.3Tb of RAID5 Storage. Used for Movies, TV, and Copy File backup

After putting together all the hardware I started on the install.

I changed my workgroup as I have always used a custom one in my home setup

http://homeserversho...__fromsearch__1

Next I created User Folders for all the users as we had found this to be a very good way to each have space for our own documents

Now that it was up and working I noticed that sometimes I have having problems accessing it via some of my other equipment throughout the house. As a result I set it to be the master browser

This solved all my access problems

Then I started on setting up my JMircon HW Raid Manager (ICY Dock) and HighPoint RAID Management Console. The trick on both of these for email notification was to use my old Yahoo email account via Port 587.

Next I started to move my data from my WHSv1 to my new WHS2011 using Allway Sync but soon found out it does not like to move that much data on the free version.

So I quickly moved to Sync Toy to move the rest of my Data.

I did move about 2Tb of data onto the RAID5 while it was still completing its build this may have slowed it down a lot next time I will try and hold myself back. I also got an error on one of the drives but after it completed I can’t seem to see any other errors and it’s been running very nice now for about a week.

Next I moved my CrashPlan over and it seems to work nice on WHS2011 have not had my problems with it.

I installed MSE for antivirus protection waiting for someone to come out with an all in one that will work on all my pc’s and alert me about problems from my WHS2011

Just as I had almost everything the way I want it and what happens but my Icy Dock drops one of the drives after talking with tech support and doing all types of stuff I think I will be sending it back.

So now I’m just running on one of the drives from it but I must say that it was nice to just be able to pull one drive out connect it to the system and all is good. Hope to get it back and install it again.

Also loaded Home Server Status on all my client pc’s thanks to WHS show giveaway :)

My over all thought is that WHS2011 is a very nice product for how I use it mostly as a NAS and backup device on my network can’t tell you how many times the fast restore of client pc’s makes having it all worth it. I really have found that the alerts are so nice. I love the fact that it tells me when my clients have updates and or problems that I need to look at on them.

I do wish they had spent a little more time on the ability to manage your backups or at least delete server backups that fail

I have noticed that it seems to be very slow for getting Add-in’s I really hope some of you really good programmers can start working your magic.

Things that I’m still working on is getting SyncToy scheduled so that it will copy my data from one place to another without me have to doing anything.

Again I would like to thank the Windows Home Server show and the forms users for all the support.

This is awesome to read. Love the build specs too. I'm glad these forums have helped and I hope to see you around more!

Dave

I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my WHS2011 build. It seems to now be up and stable.

I just thought I would review everything I have build and done and see if anyone has any other suggestions

First my hardware:

• Component Make Model Comment
  • Case Lian-Li PC-A70F
  • CPU Intel 2100 i3-2100
  • MoatherBoard GigiaByte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
  • Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8Gb
  • RAID Card HighPoint 2680SGL
  • RAID Cable HighPoint INT-MS-1M4S
  • CPU FAN Corsair A70
  • Power Supply Corsair AX850
  • 4x Hard Drives Western Digital WD30EZRX Used on HighPoint
  • 2x Hard Drives Hitachi OSO3339 Used on Icy Dock
  • 2x Hard Drives Seagate ST32000542AS Data and Backup
  • Network Card D-link DGE-530T Problems with MB NIC

Here is how I split up all the disk

Icy Dock with its 699Gb RAID1 of space

60Gb as the OS

639Gb Must have data

Seagate 1.8Tb space used for client backups, and assorted other data music and apps and assorted other stuff

Seagate2 if the backup 1.8Tb of space you can use for your backups this backups up my OS drive and my must have data along with some other things but I see it’s a challenge to make sure it’s not full

Next the HighPoint Raid that took me a week to get it to complete the build but it’s done now and has a full 8.3Tb of RAID5 Storage. Used for Movies, TV, and Copy File backup

After putting together all the hardware I started on the install.

I changed my workgroup as I have always used a custom one in my home setup

Next I created User Folders for all the users as we had found this to be a very good way to each have space for our own documents

Now that it was up and working I noticed that sometimes I have having problems accessing it via some of my other equipment throughout the house. As a result I set it to be the master browser

This solved all my access problems

Then I started on setting up my JMircon HW Raid Manager (ICY Dock) and HighPoint RAID Management Console. The trick on both of these for email notification was to use my old Yahoo email account via Port 587.

Next I started to move my data from my WHSv1 to my new WHS2011 using Allway Sync but soon found out it does not like to move that much data on the free version.

So I quickly moved to Sync Toy to move the rest of my Data.

I did move about 2Tb of data onto the RAID5 while it was still completing its build this may have slowed it down a lot next time I will try and hold myself back. I also got an error on one of the drives but after it completed I can’t seem to see any other errors and it’s been running very nice now for about a week.

Next I moved my CrashPlan over and it seems to work nice on WHS2011 have not had my problems with it.

I installed MSE for antivirus protection waiting for someone to come out with an all in one that will work on all my pc’s and alert me about problems from my WHS2011

Just as I had almost everything the way I want it and what happens but my Icy Dock drops one of the drives after talking with tech support and doing all types of stuff I think I will be sending it back.

So now I’m just running on one of the drives from it but I must say that it was nice to just be able to pull one drive out connect it to the system and all is good. Hope to get it back and install it again.

Also loaded Home Server Status on all my client pc’s thanks to WHS show giveaway :)

My over all thought is that WHS2011 is a very nice product for how I use it mostly as a NAS and backup device on my network can’t tell you how many times the fast restore of client pc’s makes having it all worth it. I really have found that the alerts are so nice. I love the fact that it tells me when my clients have updates and or problems that I need to look at on them.

I do wish they had spent a little more time on the ability to manage your backups or at least delete server backups that fail

I have noticed that it seems to be very slow for getting Add-in’s I really hope some of you really good programmers can start working your magic.

Things that I’m still working on is getting SyncToy scheduled so that it will copy my data from one place to another without me have to doing anything.

Again I would like to thank the Windows Home Server show and the forms users for all the support.

Very nice setup. Out of curiosity, what issues did you have with in the internal NIC? Nothing wrong (and sometimes better) in using an add on card but the DGE-530T is an interesting choice. Great setup though and the best of luck to you.

The problems I had with the internal NIC was more a set of problems. First when I installed everything I noticed that I was not getting a Gig connection on my switch. I tried everything made sure I had updated drives checked my cable even swapped with cable with my WHSv1 cable and still could not get Gig connection. I had the card in my box of parts put it in and got my Gig connection. The problem was right after that I started noticing other devices on the switch dropping Gig connections.

I ended up finding that my switch was really the problem and have yet to retest the internal card. As things are working well now I just have not pull the card or even reenabled my internal card. This is something on my list to do.

Very nice setup. Out of curiosity, what issues did you have with in the internal NIC? Nothing wrong (and sometimes better) in using an add on card but the DGE-530T is an interesting choice. Great setup though and the best of luck to you.

That makes sense. You will probably find that you NIC has no issue at all but as long as you found the problem, all is well.

Thank you for sharing your build experience.

Your post led me to the solution to my client systems having network browsing and sharing issues. Rather than force a master browser election, I enabled the WINS server feature on my WHS 2011 server and added a WINS server entry to every client. I am finding that it resolved my sharing issues and now the Network and Sharing Center generates an accurate full map of my network.

Note that I had previously disabled Home Groups on all systems as it clashed with the server permissions.

Thank you for sharing your build experience.

Your post led me to the solution to my client systems having network browsing and sharing issues. Rather than force a master browser election, I enabled the WINS server feature on my WHS 2011 server and added a WINS server entry to every client. I am finding that it resolved my sharing issues and now the Network and Sharing Center generates an accurate full map of my network.

Note that I had previously disabled Home Groups on all systems as it clashed with the server permissions.

Oh my. Back to the future or what. WINS rises yet again :)

Seriously though, interesting to know this still works.

WINS = RIP

Seems to me like turning on Network Discovery for the LAN would have solved the issues with creating the network map.

WINS = RIP

Seems to me like turning on Network Discovery for the LAN would have solved the issues with creating the network map.

We're still having issues with win7 discovering our AD network at work. Many times, opening Windows Explorer and clicking on Network will only yield some of the computers we know are there. Interestingly, copying a shortcut to our local network name from an XP computer to a win7 one gives better results. Haven't had time to investigate why, but it is kinda funny.