RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 will not re-install

motorcycle

I installed WHS 2011 when it first came out. After sometime I started have problems with performing backups.

I would run fix backups from the server and move on. Then I did a re-install of whs 2011 and exrything was fine for a week or two. Started having problems again, so I did a re-install that would not work. I formated my drives clean and tried again. The installation would load then get to about 8% and crash. I have tried several times but each time it crashes. Once I was able to install but then it would not take the password. I thought maybe the primary drive was bad so I ordered a new WD 320GB black. Tried several more times no luck. I did manage to get screens shots with my camera of the log file. I have a Zotac board with I3 chip, 1-320gb wd and 4-Samsung 2tb drives. I about ready to order a new motherboard. Any help to this problem sure would be appreciated.

I have down loaded from 2 different computers and as ftp and zip. Have used theses files as dvd and on on a usb stick to install WHS 2011. Thanks

Just to add another wrinkle to the mix, have you considered the RAM? Given that it's getting progressively worse, and it seems to quit at different places in the process, I would seriously consider the RAM. If you have a copy on hand, or access to another internet capable computer, I would get memtest86 and run it overnight. It's cheap (as in free), easy, doesn't take too long, and it will either confirm you have a problem with RAM or eliminate it as a suspect.

Thank you for the idea. I am running that program right now.

Not sure how to read the screen but so far it list over 100,000 errors.

Memory or an overheating CPU would have been the next logical choices. Still curious as to the source of the installation files.

Thank you for the idea. I am running that program right now.

Not sure how to read the screen but so far it list over 100,000 errors.

Memtest is listing over 100,000 errors?? Yikes. If that's really true (since you said you're not sure how to read the screen) then, dude, you need to get new RAM I think. It should not list any errors...I mean zero.

Well, I pulled one stick of bad memory and ran memtest on the remaining stick. No errors in 2 passes. Can not load whs 2011 right now until I get more memory. In the mean time I'm loading win 7 with 2gb memory.

Downloads where from technet.

Thanks for all the help. This forum rocks.

One last question. I was going to order the Corsair XMS3 8 GB of memory. Looking for recommendations on memory

Thank you