RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing the System drive

PINKTULIP

My understanding is that whs partitions the system space the same regardless of the disk size. Is it your os partition or your data partition that is the problem. If it's the data partition then i would just add another drive to the pool.

Right. Do you really need to replace the drive? It's much easier to add a new one.

If you really do need to replace, the simplest way is just to pull the old drive and do a server re-install with the new drive. Make sure you back up your backups first though, if possible.

Along the lines of what is already been said, I assume that you are talking about your "main" physical drive and that your "D" partiion of that drive is full. If that is the case, I would absolutely agree with usacomp2k3 and add one. I am a believer in keeping that partition free of data as it allows for better server recovery. How many total drives doe you have in your system? 2 is a good number as it allows folder duplication for those who use it, but 3 is better as is frees the system (main drive) until the others get full. Just my opinion.

Hi All

Thanks for the input.

My primary disk ( DISK 0 in Disk Management) shows its role as the system disk and is a 75Gb Disk.

20Gb of this is the C partition SYS, and the reamining 54Gb is part of the D partition and is part of the data pool.

From what you guys have said, would it be best just to throw some more storage in and add it to the pool?

Would it make sense to have the 20Gb Sys as a seperate physical drive with no part of it contributing to the Data pool, if so can i remove the D partition element of this drive and just have my 75Gb drive as the C drive and forego 54Gb of data storage?

Mediasmartserver.net has a good article on how to clone the system drive. Link here. It's an advanced option though.

I'm 100% sure you can't use C: just for the OS. The remaining space on the drive will be used in the pool.

AJ gave the easiest option. Install BDBB, backup your PC backups. Pull the drive. Insert much larger drive. Server recovery. You will have to setup your users and add-ins but your data will be safe. Install BDBB again and restore. Just in case, attach a USB drive and backup your shares after you run BDBB.