RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Software KVM

awraynor

I used the FOOS Synergy which worked well, assuming you could get the setup correct.

I am now using the Share Mouse Beta (free) which works with zero configuration. I just

had to negate the monitor dimming on the inactive monitor. Since I want to use Mac and Windows

simultaneously your choices narrow quickly and this is working well so far.

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/features.htm

Input Director is another software kvm. This one is Windows only but if that fulfills your needs it worked great for me.

Yeah, the options for Windows only are much numerous. When you go cross OS they dwindle rapidly.

Synergy was weird. When it worked, it worked great, but that wasn't everytime. One way in which Share Mouse

differs from Synergy is that Synergy runs as client/server with the "server" keyboard and mouse controlling

the clients, but not the other way around. Share Mouse allows control from either end, a small but neat trick.

This is a beta, maybe a paid product in the future, but being zero configuration and actually working is awesome.

I use 2 Windows and 1 Mac simultaneously so this is what I need.

Just as an aside another use case is if you have a laptop and desktop. I did this at work a while back. I just docked my laptop and was able to use my desktop as well with one keyboard and mouse. Worked very nicely.

Ah, now I get it. I got confused by the title of this thread. I went looking for a KVM where 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, and 1 monitor are used to control multiple systems. I see that these products do let you use 1 keyboard and 1 mouse, but you use multiple monitors, so the system units (chassis) would normally be located relatively close by. Interesting 'in-between' product. I have identified an application at work, and implemented Mouse Without Borders last week: nice and neat.

Good catch about the monitor portion. This product is especially handy since:

1. It is no config (if you have used Synergy you will understand)

2. It can be controlled from either machine, such as a laptop