RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The server was restarted

Kman

I don't think I had seen this before but today when I restarted my server. I got an alert "The Server was restarted"

on the right side it tells me the following

Resolve this alert

this alert is either removed automatically after 24 hours, or it is removed when you enter a reason for the restart of the server when you log on.

it goes on a bit more about ups but you get the idea

my question is how do you enter a reason? if you enter a reason can you see a log of all restarts and what you had put in?

It would be nice to log all restarts and see when and why over time you restarted the server

I restart mine once a month after updates are applied. That's the only reason I need. There is also an option to allow you to ignore that event.

my question is how do you enter a reason? if you enter a reason can you see a log of all restarts and what you had put in?

It would be nice to log all restarts and see when and why over time you restarted the server

I reported this unclear Alert text some time ago on Microsoft Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/677989/server-restarted-alert-text-is-unclear

Microsoft have said that they will address the issue in a future update. No timeframe given. Thay also say that it is safe to just ignore the Alert...

Yep i'm sure it's fine to ignore thanks for the link very intresting. But I was more hopping to use it to be able to see all the reason over the next 4 year with time and date of what I did on the server. Things like patches, hard drive problems (hopefully not), and any other reasons that will come up. Is there a way to do what it asks and put in some type of log entry on why the server had been shutdown (mind you it was planned)

Yep i'm sure it's fine to ignore thanks for the link very intresting. But I was more hopping to use it to be able to see all the reason over the next 4 year with time and date of what I did on the server. Things like patches, hard drive problems (hopefully not), and any other reasons that will come up. Is there a way to do what it asks and put in some type of log entry on why the server had been shutdown (mind you it was planned)

This is an overspill from the functionality of Windows Server 2008 R2, which underlies WHS 2011.

In WS2008, it is possible for support staff to document their reasons for a server restart. See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770404.aspx

The WHS 2011 team didn't seal this off, so you get this idiotic Alert being generated. I suppose that if you can turn on the Shutdown Event Tracker, and then RDP into the Administrator's Desktop after a restart, you could make use of the functionality to build up a history of restart reasons, if that's what you want to do. Most Home Users probably don't.