RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Confused about WHS 2011 Backup Setup

Guest bradk

Okay, I think I'm confused... I heard on the HSS Podcast that for 2011 backups, you install pairs of drives.

So, I have a 750gb with the O/S (C:) and the remainder for ServerFolders (D:). Then I added a 1TB for ServerFolders (E:). Once I'd migrated data from my WHS v1 to this new machine, I removed the remaining drives (another 750gb and another 1TB), both intended to backup their 'sisters' already in the server.

But I can't for the life of me successfully perform a server backup of the 2011 system with this configuration. It never tells me the system is out of space, but it does, apparently, fill up the 750gb backup disk and then fail. (insert gripe about terrible notification system and lousy messages telling you why the backup event failed.)

So, is the statement about installing pairs of drives not really true (unless you install ONLY two drives) for ServerFolders/backup?

Thanks for any insight,

Brad K.

Edited by bradk

To backup you have to have a dedicated drive designated as a backup drive which means they cannot be used for anything else. When you run the backup wizard, you will need to point to that drive to do your backup. I am not sure where you got the "pairs of drives" statement as this is not true. The server and shares backup to one drive so typically it is a larger drives. For example, you would have a 1 or 2T backup drive whcih would not show up as a storage drive, then the server, and server folders for the "D" partition as well as the 1T "E" would backup to the single drive. Sounds like you did not configure a backup drive and that you are not pointing your backup set correctly.

Michael Brown

To backup you have to have a dedicated drive designated as a backup drive which means they cannot be used for anything else. When you run the backup wizard, you will need to point to that drive to do your backup. I am not sure where you got the "pairs of drives" statement as this is not true. The server and shares backup to one drive so typically it is a larger drives. For example, you would have a 1 or 2T backup drive whcih would not show up as a storage drive, then the server, and server folders for the "D" partition as well as the 1T "E" would backup to the single drive. Sounds like you did not configure a backup drive and that you are not pointing your backup set correctly.

Doc,

Is it possible to designate an internal drive as a backup (I know it really defeats the purpose of moving backups offsite)? I'm having a horrible time keeping my USB backup drive online.

Ah, I was incomplete in my whining, above. Yes, I added the both the second 750gb and second 1tb drives as backup drives. I then set up my O/S, D:-serverFolders and E:-serverFolders to be backed up. Apparently, multiple backup disks don't work. Even though everything would have fit on the 1tb backup drive, it tried to write it all to the 750gb, filled it, and then failed with unhelpful error messages.

Jim said a couple of times on the show something about adding pairs of drives. I hadn't looked into WHS 2011 at all until I installed it recently, so I had assumed that when you add a data drive, you add a same-sized backup drive as well. I'm seeing that this is not the case.

The reason I went up to WHS 2011 was primarily so that I could be more future-proofed with all the advanced format drives coming out and the 'normal' drives being harder to find. I'll have to look harder at my storage/backup strategy and try and figure out how to use my assets to get the job done. I may scrap my EX485 and X310 and go with a DIY box as WHS 2011 may not cut it on its own.

Edited by bradk

Hrm ... I'm trying to figure out how one would use the Server Backup functionality in an off-site rotation plan. Where would I find information on how to do this? I'll be looking for this myself, but if someone has already figured it out, it would be most kind to point me in the right direction :) ... :runs off to Google:

Just a quick mention that you can backup as much data as you want to whatever drives you want if you avoid the 2011 backup program. By all means back up the OS drive to a dedicated backup drive, but I'm going to use RoboCopy to back up my data to an external drive array (Lian-Li EX-503B).

My OS will never get to 2TB in size, so using the 2011 backup program will work fine for that. My data is considerably larger than 2TB so the 2011 backup won't work. RoboCopy, or another program of its ilk, will allow me to copy all of my data, in an easily readible format, to a backup drive array. By having more than 1 array I can easily rotate them so 1 is always offsite.

My only outstanding question is how to handle the client PC backups. Assuming they are accessible like they are in WHSv1 then I will simply copy them to the external array, along with my data. This is what I do now with WHSv1.

Not much help right now, but from what I read, the Windows Live function will be enabled in the OS so you can map drives to your SkyDrive account. My practice is to image all clients and get those VHD files (Windows 7 images) copied to a portable hard drive and off site along with monthly copies of full backups of redirected client data.

Music and photos are copied to GoogleMusic and Amazon which makes the actual data retention a little easier to deal with.

Not much help right now, but from what I read, the Windows Live function will be enabled in the OS so you can map drives to your SkyDrive account. My practice is to image all clients and get those VHD files (Windows 7 images) copied to a portable hard drive and off site along with monthly copies of full backups of redirected client data.

Music and photos are copied to GoogleMusic and Amazon which makes the actual data retention a little easier to deal with.

I wish! Thanks to bandwidth caps it's not an option for me.