RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
PINKTULIP

Synchronise 2 WHS's across web?

PINKTULIP

I am currently running a WHS V1 that just ticks along perfectly. I use it for both home stuff (videos, pics, music, backup) but it is also the main repository for all our business files and images, (we have a photography business).

We are in the process of opening a second studio and will need access to files/images at both locations.

My idea is that I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and put a second WHS at the new studio and synchronise them somehow, that way I would have a second location for DR purposes in addition to the cloud storage I use, but I would also have local access to all the files regardless of whether I am working from home or working from the studio.

Question is? - if I built the server at home and loaded a snapshot of all the files from the first server, and then moved it to the new studio, what would be the best way of keeping/automating a 'sync' every night?

I currently use Goodsync to sync files across my lan, but have never done this over the web.

Second question is my first server is a V1 so am I better just building a second V1 or should i move to 2011 and if so will the shares sync across the 2 platforms.

The £100 cashback deal on the HP microserver is still running in the UK until the end of Sept, so I think i might just order that box in preparation.

Thanks guys

jmwills

LogMeIn Hamachi should be able to do what you want and yes you do need to "seed" the second server with data form the first. Don't expect this to be the fastest thing in the world, however.

ikon

depending our your internet connection and bandwidth caps, and considering it's a photography business, I would be concerned about being able to get everything synced overnight. I presume the files are multi-megabytes each and you take a lot of them, so time might be a major constraint for you.

PINKTULIP

Here in the UK, standard ADSL which is what I have at home give me approx 400K upload and 6Mb download. At the studio I will get approx 1Mb upload and 10Mb download.

So I take your point re the speed. Bandwidth caps are not an issue, as I have unlimited service.

On a reasonably big shoot say a wedding where there are 2 photographers, we may come back with approx 1500-2000 images each approx 7Mb.

krom

So it sounds like you are looking at a max of 14GB after a big shoot to sync. If you are going from studio to home then at least you have the benefit of the faster 1Mbps upload speed. If my math is right, and don't take that as a given, that's about 450MB/Hr. or about 31 Hrs. to upload 14GB. And that's with your full upload speed saturated. You might want to consider using a USB drive and sneaker netting it to the other server and then doing the sync.

PINKTULIP

Thanks, it looks like i might be carting a USB drive back and forth, hey ho! at least i know that will work

ikon

1. nobody ever achieves the full rated speed on their links so it will take longer
  2. 2,000 photos uploaded the other way (400K) would take 97+ hours

I assume you mean a USB hard drive, not a thumbdrive.