RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up WHS 2011 to a Drobo

eagle63

FYI: if you use keepvault for cloud based backups, you could also set a Drobo as KeepVaults local backup destination.

You would have easy access to the data as, long as you don't check the encryption box.

I'm using the Drobo as a backup for WHS with, another backup stored in the cloud. I belive my data is probably pretty much safe.

The scary thing is, if think of the Drobo as a complete storage and backup solution, you could find yoursef losing all of your data.

Drobo's storage & backup model has a nasty flaw! Wish I would have known this before purchasing.

The data is stored on the Drobo, in a Proprietary format. This means, if your Drobo unit fails or bricks, your pretty much S.O.L in recovering your data.

Your only option would be moving the Disks to another Drobo unit. I've read that, you can move the drives to another Drobo of the same make & model or newer. I've also read, the Drobo unit must be the exact same make and model, which is even more disheartning. :o

Drobo's solution is, you should have backups of your backups.

This is fine except, Drobo advertises themself as, a complete storage and backup solution.

The details truly ARE in the fine print.

That's a good thing to reiterate for existing or potential Drobo owners.

It depends on the value of the data of course, but best practices say there should be at least 3 copies of data, on at least 2 different types of media, and 1 of the copies should be offsite.

In your case, you could have the data on your local computer, another copy on the Drobo, and another in the cloud. That way, if your Drobo fails, you have 2 other places from which you can recover after fixing the Drobo.

In my case I have 4 copies of all my data: local, WHS2011, external RAID box attached to WHS2011, and 2 sets of external drives that rotate offsite.

That's a good thing to reiterate for existing or potential Drobo owners. It depends on the value of the data of course, but best practices say there should be at least 3 copies of data, on at least 2 different types of media, and 1 of the copies should be offsite. In your case, you could have the data on your local computer, another copy on the Drobo, and another in the cloud. That way, if your Drobo fails, you have 2 other places from which you can recover after fixing the Drobo. In my case I have 4 copies of all my data: local, WHS2011, external RAID box attached to WHS2011, and 2 sets of external drives that rotate offsite.

And as soon as LTO5 become more affordable I will be going LTFS for achival, read and write to tape straight from OS, Windows, Mac, Linux, and iSeries

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for the file copy / synchronisation method of backup.

I use Robocopy on my WHS 2011 server to copy my data to an internal backup disk and to several external backup disks on a scheduled rotation. All scripted and it just works.

I do make use of the Windows Server Backup utility to keep an image of my boot / system hard drive so that I can recover the OS with minimal effort should the drive fail.

I have, for more than fifteen years, employed the file copy method on my PC to obtain "local" backups of my data. This takes to form of a batch file and (here's a blast from the past) tar and gzip utilities to copy all user data and configuration to a secoind hard drive.

I have extensive experience of backup programs used in the enterprise environment and can provide many horror stories of the struggles in recovering data from supposedly valid backups, with the added pressure of a business on stop until the recovery is complete. This is all with the best practice of test, test, test when it comes to recovery.

This experience has taught me to keep things simple at home and minimise the reliance on third-party programs in protecting what is important to you. Oh, and do test recovery from time to time :)

Me paranoid? With respect to recovery, yes I am!

• 5 months later...

whats the difference / pros/cons to taking an image of the server OS to restore it after a drive failure vs using the server backup to a USB drive?