RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing Hardware - EX485/7 for EX495 - Easy as a drive swap?

phatguy29

Just wondering if it would be possible to take the drives I have out of my EX485/7, put them in the EX495, turn it on and keep going...

Any thoughts?

I've successfully swapped between two EX495s. Even with the same hardware the one thing that needs to be done is assign a static ip to the server - as if your using a dynamic the MAC address will change then causing some re-configuration, etc. Sorry I couldn't comment on between two different models.

How about shutting down your 485 and pulling the drives clearly marking them what position they were in. Placing a new hd in and reinstall the os. Then pull the newly set-up os drive and plugged it into your 495?

Test, test, test...

Just wondering if it would be possible to take the drives I have out of my EX485/7, put them in the EX495, turn it on and keep going...

Any thoughts?

it might work, but I assume there would be some driver differences so the server might have to reboot several times after updating the drivers. Just pray it's not the NIC driver that's no good or you might have a little fun (not impossible by any means) getting the driver onto the server ;)