RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sharing Calendars and Having Centralized e-mail

byronomo

Is there any way for my household members to have a shared outlook calendar on WHS? With all of the kids' activities, and our schedules, it would be great to replace the whiteboard calendar in the kitchen.
Also, while i'm dreaming---is there a way to have my e-mail run off of my WHS so that I can use any PC in the house to check my e-mail?

To summarize---can Exchange (or similar) be run on WHS?

One way to achieve what you desire (shared calendar and outlook mail) is to utilize GMail and Google Calendar. You can use IMAP to keep Outlook synced with GMail mail servers. Google Calender has an application that basically syncs the calendar at a fixed interval.

I don't know if that helps, but it is one possible scenario.

Or, just switch to Google and don't bother with Outlook.

Here is an option, http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=722&start=0

http://www.theofficemaven.com/WHSOutlook/ you can try this but it requires install Outlook on your server plus all the Service Packs. gets bloated, but works. This is a pay off addin with a trail period.

I installed SmarterMail, that might give you what you want. I think you can pull in email from Google. There is a great YouTube video for installation on WHS.

John (homeservershow).

I make use of webDAV capability in WHS/Win-2003 and IIS.

This allows me to publish on my WHS the outlook calendar so that my family knows where I am at any time. (I travel a bit, due to job). It has worked great for me. If you wish I could write up a small article as to how I've done it.

A bit of info on WebDAV:

WebDAV, is a protocol used for publishing and managing content to web servers. WebDAV is an extension of the HTTP/1.1 protocol described in RFCs 2518 and 3253. WebDAV overcomes the three issues described above as follows:
WebDAV uses port 80, the same port used by HTTP for web access. So using WebDAV means you don

• Like 1

> This allows me to publish on my WHS the outlook calendar so that my family knows where I am at any time. (I travel a bit, due to job). It has worked great for me. If you wish I could write up a small article as to how I've done it.

I'd be very interested.

[before I set up my Windows 2000 SMB back-end, I looked at WHS when it came out, and noticed that exclusion of mini-Exchange was a big omission - what would it have cost MS to include mini-Exchange into WHS - nothing, no canibalisation of sales, but it would have allowed scheduled automatic updates and instant offline access by family members to their email, calendar (mainly, reminders), contacts, notes - a big advantage.]

> A bit of info on WebDAV:

Another factoid - late last year, Microsoft deprecated WebDAV access to Hotmail and replaced it by DeltaSync.

Hey Everybody,

TheGuy has a post on the front page showing you how he did it. It's a good read. Thank you for writing that up and letting me post it for all to see.

Dave