RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Blu-Ray Playback Problems

Mike

Well, I'm not sure about the HDCP part or how to check the version or even update it. I don't think that's what it is at least in whole. Its beginning to appear to me that the HDDs can't keep up with the decryption of the movie at times. Both the HTPC and my laptop both have 5400 rpm HDDs. So maybe that's somewhat a factor. I've played other Blu-ray discs on both systems just fine. Right now I'm contemplating getting a standalone Blu-ray player. Thank you ikon and pcdoc for the help.

/Mike Biel

Well, I'm not sure about the HDCP part or how to check the version or even update it. I don't think that's what it is at least in whole. Its beginning to appear to me that the HDDs can't keep up with the decryption of the movie at times. Both the HTPC and my laptop both have 5400 rpm HDDs. So maybe that's somewhat a factor. I've played other Blu-ray discs on both systems just fine. Right now I'm contemplating getting a standalone Blu-ray player. Thank you ikon and pcdoc for the help.

/Mike Biel

That is certainly a solution but I would try my earlier suggestion of just moving the DVD drive to a different port. The HD may have something to do with it but only if you are RAM starved and making excessive use of the swap file on a fairly slow drive.

/Mike Biel

I honestly wouldn't think the HDDs would have much to do with it, at least as long as it's not RAM starved, like pcdoc says. If you have enough RAM I would think the vast majority of the decryption would take place in memory, not to and from the HDD. Add to that the fact that you can play it from the HDD and I lean toward looking at something other than HDD.

As far as HDCP is concerned, you may or may not ever be able to get updated firmware for your players; it would depend on the manufacturers I suspect.

To find out what firmware your players have I think you could just google or bing the make and model #'s. You could likely search on the movie as well to find out if people are complaining about playback and see if it is demanding the most up to date version of HDCP.