RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Blu-Ray Playback Problems

Mike

Hi everyone. I've been away from homeservershow.com for most of the summer and I'm trying to get back into it again. I need some help with my HTPC I built about a year ago. I'm using an ASrock H55 motherboard and a first gen. Intel core I3-530 CPU. I'm not using a GPU card just the integrated graphics from the CPU. Up until recently, all my Blu-ray movies I watched play without any problems. I recently got the Star Wars Blu-ray set when it was released. When I play the first disc, I get parts of the movie that freeze and stutter and the picture scrambles. It doesn't always happen in the same places within the movie, so I don't believe the discs are defective. BTW: the blu-ray drive I'm using is an Samsung DVDWBD SH-B083L internal BD drive. I've checked and the firmware is up to date. So is there anything I can do to fix this? Would It help if I used a GPU, and if so, what would be a good one to use in an HTPC. I also forgot to mention that the HTPC is attached to a 32 inch HDTV via hdmi through an AV receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

I will try that particular movie as I just got is yesterday. Unless something is wrong, there is no way your system spec wize can not handle it. There may be something with disk itself or your player but it is not a GPU problem. Do not buy a GPU to solve this problem as it is something else. That system should be able to handle much more than that. I will post after I play the first disk.

Agree with the doc. This does not sound like a GPU could slove it.

Also, If there has been no problems with other discs and you have not done any physical changes to the AV reciever and HDMI cable it is not the reciever or the cable

If you have not done this: Check disc for physical damage, even minute one. Try another Star Wars disc in the player and try the erroneous disc in another player if you can. The outcome of this is of course that if it does not play well in another player, there is something wrong with the disc.

Question: what BR-player SW do you use?

At first I was using Arcsoft TMT 3, but Star Wars would not play with that. I upgraded to TMT 5 and now it will play somewhat, but with the problems I mentioned in the original post. That's where it stands right now, as I've not had time to work on it. Thanks.

Mike

At first I was using Arcsoft TMT 3, but Star Wars would not play with that. I upgraded to TMT 5 and now it will play somewhat, but with the problems I mentioned in the original post. That's where it stands right now, as I've not had time to work on it. Thanks.

Mike

Sorry I did not get back to you. tried the first three with no issues at all. I still believe that you have something else going on. Have you tried playback from a local hard drive. What you are describing is not based on CPU/GPU. The Star war series is fairly high bandwidth which might show problems others might not. Try playback from a hard drive, and look at what you have installed on this PC that would add to the overhead. I have played SW with TMT3 and 5 with no issues but all I have is WMC, TMT, and Norton's Internet Security Check your configuration and add more detail about what you have installed after you tested the movie on a hard drive.

Thanks for the reply pcdoc. I'm finally back from vacation and had a chance to take a look at this yesterday (Saturday). I ripped Star Wars Eposode I to the local hard drive like you suggested. I played the first hour of the movie and it played without any problems at all. When I did this from the Blu-ray disk, the movie picture and sound scrambled in several places, but not always in the same locations. So now I'm puzzled as to what might be causing this. I tried playing the movie again from the disc, this time I disabled the background programs that were running, like anti-virus, etc. The movie is still stuttering, so if there is a process causing an issue I've not found it. While I was doing this I was viewing the resource monitor, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for there. Nothing odvious stuck out. Any ideas where to look? Thanks for the help.

Mike Biel

I've tried this on two different Blu-ray drives with the same results. The first was on my HTPC which has a Samsung BD drive and my laptop BD drive which is a Sony Optiarc BD-5500S. Neither of these have a driver update either.

/Mike Biel

Thanks for the reply pcdoc. I'm finally back from vacation and had a chance to take a look at this yesterday (Saturday). I ripped Star Wars Eposode I to the local hard drive like you suggested. I played the first hour of the movie and it played without any problems at all. When I did this from the Blu-ray disk, the movie picture and sound scrambled in several places, but not always in the same locations. So now I'm puzzled as to what might be causing this. I tried playing the movie again from the disc, this time I disabled the background programs that were running, like anti-virus, etc. The movie is still stuttering, so if there is a process causing an issue I've not found it. While I was doing this I was viewing the resource monitor, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for there. Nothing odvious stuck out. Any ideas where to look? Thanks for the help.

Mike Biel

What it tells me is something in the I/O. I would replace the cable as well as moving the DVD drive to another port. Sounds more like a controller issue than anything. Last resort, try using a pcie controller card to see if that helps.

I dont' think anyone's mentioned it, but could this have anything to do with the HDCP version: i.e. his hardware doesn't support the requirements of the discs? I only say this because it plays fine from the HD, and I was thinking maybe that's maybe because the copy protection was stripped during the rip.