RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 76, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi Guys,
Keep your WAF high, don't forget your girls on Valentine's Day.

so, what did you think about this weeks podcast. We were having some Skype issues and missing Jim, so the show was shorter.

We've seen some posts on poor streaming, have you had issues ?

Wuala's post has been going long.

How do you use Duplication or Shares Backup ? Dave and I are not big fans of Duplication but prefer Shares Backup.

Have you been using WHS Health or WHS Mobile ?

Have a great week

John (homeservershow).

Great show. Thanks for posting it so quick Dave. I did have a comment while listening, but I can't remember it now.

I got a funny IM from Nigel(Cougar) over at MediaSmartServer.net. I talked about his wiki article on the keyboard macro for backing up folders on your WHS. He got a laugh out of it but said hey, "You called me old school!" Sorry about that Cougar. You, are certainly not old School!

I picked up the news item from mswhs.com and it seems that the wiki article is over a year old. Even if it is older post I thought it was a good segway into talking about KeepVault's local backup service.

I did a little checking on the KeepVault forum to see if there was anything about local backup still working after the trial period. I didn't find anything (as expected), but I did find some posts about an issue with rotating external hard drives for local backup. If you backup to 1 hard drive then replace it with a 2nd drive, Keepvault won't recognize the 2nd drive.

Some people provide their backup strategy by always leaving 1 back up drive in a remote location and then rotating it into active use on a schedule. Keepvault won't allow it until they release their next bug fix.

That's good info to have.

I got an email back from KeepVault today. The local backup portion of the add-in will also cease to work after the 15 day trial. So that's a bummer. I left the info in comments on the podcast post but forgot to leave them here. Would be nice to integrate comments and forums huh? Who runs this joint anyways? ;)

Hey DieHard,

Just to let you know, if you take the Business version of High Speed pack and add around $3.00 a month more you get:

Download speed of 1.5 Mbps and upload speed of 700 Kbps
Unlimited monthly data transfer capacity

Check out the business section of your ISP, you will be surprised...

and that way "you know who" won't make fun of our free electricity...? haha

TheGuy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the third mention on the show - I've been slacking off WHSClamAV to work with Wuala on trying to get Wuala client working as a proper service. So far it looks promising and they seem to understand having Wuala run as a service is the way to go.

If anyone is interested then take a look at the Java Service Wrapper and a howto at:
http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/32068

It will probably involve cracking open the Wuala.exe to discover the class to call and it's entry point - at the moment I'm not too sure how Wuala actually start up their app.

I've seen some trouble where the client doesn't always seem to connect to the grid when run as a scheduled task or through anysvr. Anytime time to get some shuteye.

All the best,
Al West

That's what the comment was. Thanks for reminding me Dave. I remember doing the macros back in the day of Windows 3.1 "recorder" I think was the name of it. Yup. (I copied my win 3.1 install disks to my computer in order to access clock.exe, one of the best simple clocks out there)

I finally got done listening, and would like to add a comment about Online Backups. On the podcast there was a comment on how to backup multiple version of the same file.
I have been playing around with CloudBerry WHS Backup (since HP decided to remove online backup option on the EX495. It backs up to Amazon S3. They have an option on their back that will allow you to keep X amount of versions of the same file. I have not tested this, but I will do so and let you guys know how it works out.

Anyone can try it out though they have a 30 day trial version.