RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Power usage for my 24/7 8TB Frankenbuild

GDog

What is the core on the CPU? If it's a prescott, those things suck down power compared to the Northwood.

<update> Well I looked it up and there were only 2 generations of P4 @ 2.4 ghz, one with the 533 bus and the other with 400. I'm guessing the OP has this latter one, which is a Northwood chip.
http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=581

well, a couple things would help. Moving off that IDE disk drive, removing that video card, and finding a better, lower power CPU (which means mobo upgrade probably too), and possibly *underclocking* it would all help.

usacomp2k3: "What is the core on the CPU? If it's a prescott, those things suck down power compared to the Northwood.

<update> Well I looked it up and there were only 2 generations of P4 @ 2.4 ghz, one with the 533 bus and the other with 400. I'm guessing the OP has this latter one, which is a Northwood chip."

Thanks for the reply. Also, I forgot to apologize for the LONG post. :-)

I am pretty sure it *is* the Prescott chip. It doesn't run that warm though, like 28C idle or so. I was thinking maybe of going to a Mobile version of the chip that supports on-the-fly underclocking on demand. Intel has a name for this technology but I can't think of it right now. Gotta find out if the MOBO supports that. I could prolly score one of those pretty cheap on ebay. Don't know about the packaging though, ie if the M series chips are Socket 478 or not. What do you guys think of that? I wonder how significant a savings that would be?

Drashna (WGS): "well, a couple things would help. Moving off that IDE disk drive, removing that video card, and finding a better, lower power CPU (which means mobo upgrade probably too), and possibly *underclocking* it would all help."

I *do* plan on eventually removing the video card, but I was going to wait until I got all this stuff worked out though. Having it in there makes everything so much easier. Plus I don't know if the MOBO will even boot without it. How much power do you think JUST that card would be pulling anyway?

Also, I have already experimented a little with underclocking. I lowered the FSB by 5% just to try it. Things started to get a little weird - latency seemed to climb a bit, so I went back to 100% until I could find out more about the right way to do it.

As far as moving off the IDE, I always thought the SATA's used more power due to the higher bandwidth, but maybe there's more to it than that, eh? What do you think would be a good drive to use for the Boot unit?

Thanks again guys,
Gary

ati video cards dont really idle low, except for the new 58xx series, the previous cards usually idled 30-60 watts. Switching to an onboard solution will save you a good amount of power. Unless your mobo allows you to switch to headless mode.

For reference here is my build:

CPU

CookiePuss: "ati video cards dont really idle low, except for the new 58xx series, the previous cards usually idled 30-60 watts. Switching to an onboard solution will save you a good amount of power. Unless your mobo allows you to switch to headless mode."

Thanks! That is really good info! I had no idea a low end Vid Card like that could pull that kind of power. Wow! The ASUS P4P800 does not have on board video, so I think I will pull that card and boot JUST to see what I can save. If I could save say 45-50 watts, that would put me pretty near where I want to be. Thanks again CookiePuss.

@GDog - Thanks for the post. You know from the show that I am now beginning to question my Frankenbuild as well. I ordered a Kill-a-Watt meter only to have it cancelled. Ordering another one tonight and will test my box as well.

Thanks for the nice comments on the show. We are always open to receiving good comments! :)

Sounds like you have some things to try for your WHS. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

jcollison: Thank YOU for the nice words. I just finished re-configuring my WHS (and the BIOS) with NO ACP functions at all, pulled the Vid card and rebooted. First observation: took FOREVER to finish booting, but it finally did and I was able to load the console from one of my clients. I've been monitoring the Kill-A-Watt for about 25 min waiting for everything to settle down so I can get a good "Idle" reading. So far, it's looking like there is NO significant difference in power usage. It's currently pulling around 105-108 watts - right about where it was with the card in the box. I'm going to give it another hour or so to completely settle down (WD Green Drives) and if that's all there is, the Video card is going back in. I'll let everyone know what I finally wind up with. Thanks, -GDog

OK, it's been an hour and the Power use has never dropped below 105 Watts at all. Peak wattage doesn't matter that much since the server sits idle most of the time. Conclusion: the ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card does NOT consume a significant amount of power. Considering the convenience of having a Vid card in the WHS for installing things like LightsOut and accessing the Desktop to install whatever, it's going back in immediately. Darnit! I was hoping for a different result, I really was. -GDog