RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need Advice on proposed Server Build Hardware

Guru4PCs

I have currently have 2 WHSv1 servers (HP MSS EX470 and Acer Aspire easyStore H340) plus I have installed and support 10 other WHSv1 Servers.

My objective is to build a new box and virtualize my 2 existing WHSv1 servers, a legacy WinXP desktop and I would like to add a SBSEssentials2011

I have a TechNet account so I can use Windows Server 2008R2 with Hyper-V or possibly Xenserver

I was thinking of using the following hardware config:

• AMD A8 X4 3850 Quad FM1
  • GigaByte GA-A75-UD4H
  • Scythe KATANA 3 SCKTN-3000 CPU Cooler
  • NZXT H2 Classic Silent Case
  • Mushkin Blackline 4x4Gb DDR3
  • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850

• WD Caviar Black 2TB (OS and Virtual OS's)

• WD Caviar Green 3TB (WHS2011 Data)

• 4 x WD Caviar Green 2TB (WHSv1 Data (pre-existing) and WHS2011 Data)

I also have a Mediasonic (HF2-SU3S2) Pro Box 4 Bay Enclosure USB 3.0 & eSATA for future expansion.

The hardware excluding HDD would be about $650

After reading through much of the Virtualization topic on this forum I now think I need to add a couple of NIC (need advice on good/affordable) and SATA II or SATA III add-on cards.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Guest no-control

Good start. Any reason you chose the less powerful AMD APU over the an i3? Here's my advice/comments....

- I would go with a SB i3 CPU and a H67/Z68 mobo. There isn't really any cost difference and the increase in CPU performance of the relatively weal APU is better suited to Virtualization. Not to mention better driver support.

- Last I checked Mushkin didn't sell 16GB sets, you do not want to buy an unmatched set. I would recommend these G.Skill units instead.

- I'm also going to suggest keeping the Host OS and the VMs on separate disks. You'll get better performance and if the drives goes your, VHDs are still intact.

- Be aware of the issues surrounding 3TB drives and GPT partitions. If you're cool with it, great. Otherwise I would just get another 2TB drive.

- The Mediasonic enclosure is going to be useless in this environment, find another use for it.

- The onboard NIC is more than capable for what you're doing with it. If you were using it as your firewall/router or want separate networks, then I would suggest picking up an Intel NIC they are well supported and will give you the least headache with a VM.

- For a straight up SATA expansion I use the cheap Syba ones from newegg. Never had a problem. For a RAID controller, if that's what you want, The highpoint RocketRAID 2680 or 2720 are the only budget option, but if you have the need and budget there are some nice ones out there.

I would also look at my VM server build on the Blog and the forum Thread. I've changed a few things since then most are in my signature. I run anywhere from 4 to 12 VMs at any given time without any issues. This is all with an older i3/H55 and 16GB RAM.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Good start. Any reason you chose the less powerful AMD APU over the an i3? Here's my advice/comments....

- I would go with a SB i3 CPU and a H67/Z68 mobo. There isn't really any cost difference and the increase in CPU performance of the relatively weal APU is better suited to Virtualization. Not to mention better driver support.

- Last I checked Mushkin didn't sell 16GB sets, you do not want to buy an unmatched set. I would recommend these G.Skill units instead.

- I'm also going to suggest keeping the Host OS and the VMs on separate disks. You'll get better performance and if the drives goes your, VHDs are still intact.

- Be aware of the issues surrounding 3TB drives and GPT partitions. If you're cool with it, great. Otherwise I would just get another 2TB drive.

- The Mediasonic enclosure is going to be useless in this environment, find another use for it.

- The onboard NIC is more than capable for what you're doing with it. If you were using it as your firewall/router or want separate networks, then I would suggest picking up an Intel NIC they are well supported and will give you the least headache with a VM.

- For a straight up SATA expansion I use the cheap Syba ones from newegg. Never had a problem. For a RAID controller, if that's what you want, The highpoint RocketRAID 2680 or 2720 are the only budget option, but if you have the need and budget there are some nice ones out there.

I would also look at my VM server build on the Blog and the forum Thread. I've changed a few things since then most are in my signature. I run anywhere from 4 to 12 VMs at any given time without any issues. This is all with an older i3/H55 and 16GB RAM.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply/feedback

I had started my research based on passmark scores (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php) for some affordable desktop CPUs. I interpreted the following info to conclude that the A8-3850 was the best CPU I could get without dropping 30% to get an i5-2400

Desktop CPUs

1= CPU Name

2= Passmark CPU Mark (higher is better)

3= Rank (lower is better)

4= CPU Value (higher is better)

5= Price (USD)

=1= =2= =3= =4= =5=

AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon 5953 65 44.10 $134.99*

Intel Core i3-2100T @ 2.50GHz 3263 213 25.29 $129.00**

Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz 4063 139 28.02 $144.99**

Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.90GHz 5765 69 23.91 $241.11**

Intel Core i5-2320 @ 3.00GHz 6354 51 NA NA

Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz 6089 60 32.05 $189.99*

• Thank you for the tip about buying the RAM in a pack of 1 x 4 not 2 x 2 so that they are matched
  • Can I keep the VM boot VHD on one HDD and use passthru for the other physical HDDs that will hold the data?
  • I will avoid 3Tb HDD until I can investigate further
  • I will mothball the MediaSonic until I have another use for it
  • Thanks for saving me $ on extra NICs
  • I will look into the Syba cards

Your help is appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      I've been posting about this motherboard for a while now.  My research project with this board is now complete!  I have 8 GPU's running on it; Two via M.2 adapters and 6 via PCI Extenders.  Video out to monitor is also routed via the onboard GPU.  Here is the original post.

I was able to get 7 NVIDIA cards running via this original rig.  I can happily say that I'm running 8 AMD Radeon cards on my second attempt.  My guess is that I would have been able to get the 8th card up and running on this original build had I given it more effort.  I tried once and a lot of the cards dropped off so I backed out and got it back up and running.  I think in my install I nudged a few PCIE extenders and should have just reseat them all and tried again.  The M.2 adapters can also be touchy and it sometimes takes several attempts to get them to see the GPU.  I sold that rig so cannot try it again.

I liked the motherboard so much and it is at such a good price point I bought another one.  I also loaded up on RX550 cards in order to do a "CryptoNight Mining Rig" build.
      Parts List
      Motherboard - The ASROck Z270 LGA 1151 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746&Tpk=N82E16813157746  Here is why.  Six PCIE slots.  Two M.2 Slots.  This allows a total of 8 GPU's.  It also will do onboard video so the GPU does nothing but mine.

Stick O' Ram * 2 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313741&Tpk=N82E16820313741
      Cheapest CPU you can find - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K66RA3156&ignorebbr=1  The box is going to be a GPU miner, not a CPU beast.

UBIT Risers

PCIE Risers - https://amzn.to/2GcDvBG

M.2 Riser

Now, the secret sauce. http://amzn.to/2EVMx5j  This little jewel will convert your M.2 slot into a PCIE slot.  You still need the riser board though.  When you populate the M.2 slot it will also consume a SATA connector.  Not physically so check your motherboard manual.

Other Small Parts
      Power Switch / Reset Switch - http://amzn.to/2riG0zJ
      I already have this for the power supply - CRJ 24-Pin ATX Red LED Power On/Off Switch Jumper Bridge Cable, Black Sleeved 22" - http://amzn.to/2Dh9XBA
      You can also use this - http://amzn.to/2DglvFd - to link your two power supplies together and they will turn on at the same time.

Frame

I enjoy building the frames and did another custom build.  I took a lot of time with a tape measure and the gear plus the cable lengths.  I wanted to center a motherboard between two power supplies and have two racks of cards.  I also wanted it wide enough in case I switched to a B250 board that would run more than 8 GPU's.

I gave it a coat of flat black paint.  I took a little extra time with it and covered nail gun holes and wood flaws, sanded, then painted.  Some screws are still visible because I couldn't find my counter-sink bit!  I also thought I was being cool by using some hickory we had left over from a flooring install.  It's so freaking hard of a wood that it was tough to work with! I won't do that again but this rig has some very sturdy cross members!  My only oops is I have twice neglected the SSD mount.  I don't have a real custom way to mount it. Lastly, I put in a swivel board on each end to hold in the power supply.  You will see that in another photo.

I still follow my own advice on Windows 10 Prep.

Read this post, do the steps.  I have also learned to install TeamViewer right after Windows Loads. Don't wait!

RX550's

The lowly AMD Radeon RX 550 with 2Gb of onboard VRAM. Who in their right mind with mine with one of these cards?

I like the RX 550 2Gb card.  I personally like the Gigabyte version. They don't require external power and I've found them to have decent VRAM in which to mod the bios and overclock.  I've purchased them new anywhere from $95 to $130.  The produce around 420 H/s on XMR-Stak and more with aggressive overcloccking.

They also sip the power.  Here i have the rig of 8 on a single 750 watt power supply even though I have two power supplies loaded up on the rig.  One thing I have also learned is that you don't have to apply power to the 4 pin plug on the M.2 adapter.  Powering the riser is enough.
      That's the rig.

You can see the while M.2 adapters in there somewhere!

Here is a beautiful picture.  8 GPU's in Device Manager. 

Photos or it didn't happen.  Above is XMR-Stak detecting the GPU's.

Here are the threads, two each per card.

Another pretty sight.

Claymore Miner

They are not Vega's.  They don't hash like a Vega but they don't cost like a Vega.  Not a bad rig.  Cost per hash is much lower than many other AMD cards on the market.  Do the math for yourself if you are curious.  Hit me with questions.

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      This was just posted at HPE a couple days ago -- I really like this video --

https://www.hpe.com/h22228/video-gallery/us/en/products/servers/459b9352-af92-4cc5-9701-870218f2a942/HPE-MicroServer-Gen-10-Hardware-Demo/video/

I'm checking out what's below the heat sink shortly....................
    • barry
      By barry
      Hey so I'm a recent fan of the podcast and so far am having fun going through the old episodes and getting caught up on the discussion.  Lots to learn in the Home Automation world.  I'm a fairly competent hobbiest - i usually build my own PCs.  Going to be trying my hand at a laptop next once that one dies.  
      Ok to my problem.   We just moved to a new house with lots more space.  Yay!  The old place was a 1200 square foot place - little shoe box basically.  Now we're in 4600 sqft with 5 BR, a couple large living rooms, bed rooms spread all over, 3 car garage.  I'm starting to peel back the layers a bit to see what's under the hood and to my delight, I found that the builder ran CAT5e for the phone jacks (just twisted 2 pair and ignored the others).  I have COAX in most of the rooms as well (but not in the same locations and not all in the same rooms).  These all run from a central point in the basement utility room.  Those wires are all currently just banded together with very little organization.  The FIOS installer used a splitter to activate a few of the COAX runs and use a wall jack up in the living space to install the FIOS Router and a white COAX/Ethernet Bridge device.  I have an appleTV device, a PC computer with a wired/wireless networking capability, an XBOX360, a home theater system with only an ethernet port.  We also run a few iPhones and iPads through the house on the wifi.  
      I can handle the first couple steps but if anyone has suggestions on this please advise:
      1 - to have all the COAX set up in a box in the basement to distribute that data through the house.  We have about 15 cable runs through the house.
      2 - repurpose the phone jacks through the house to Cat5e network data jacks.  will require a punchdown rack mounted box in the basement sending signal out.  also will need new wall jacks and punchdown fittings.  On a few walls... I have a jack on one side of the wall that i would also like to have a live connection on the other side.  (i.e. the current run is to a bedroom, i'd like to keep the bedroom active as well as directly on the other side into that living space.
      Once I have this distribution solution in place is where i start to get a bit fuzzy.  The end state once im done is the following ideas:
      I would like to start to add Apple HomeKit devices throughout the house.  I'd like to be able to see all wired and wireless devices on the network.  I'd like to have flexibility to install wall mounted home control panels at the once main entry and perhaps in the kitchen.  Home Automation goals to include;  motion activated lighting.  Scene selected lighting.  Whole home audio.  Distributed AV to the TVs.  Locks.  exterior Cameras.  Interior cameras at entry doors, in the garage, basement utility room.  Water Sensors.  I would like to have a router in the basement utility room send data through the ethernet but also utilize the wireless router for the wifi - and have all that still able to talk to each other.  Most if not all the home automation hardware will be on the wifi but i might have cameras on the wired ethernet in some places - would just depend on layout etc.  
      I am at the very beginning stages of planning this out.  The only real commitment I have made is to the Apple HomeKit universe, which is entirely based on security and simplicity.  I would prefer to keep the number of required apps and software interface among the devices as low as possible.  I plan on adding the HomePod device as it becomes available.  Also for note... the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is a concern.  

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• Nickolai
      By Nickolai
      Has anyone tried (or thought of) upgrading Surface Pro 2? CPU, RAM or SSD.

I had this crazy idea that I could probably put an i7 CPU in SP2 with the help of a specialized company that does this kind of things; and while I'm at it, maybe replace SSD and RAM as well (I have the most concern for the RAM: I'm afraid larger RAM should have different bank organization and therefore not compatible)

CPU candidates I have in mind are i7-4600U (CPU upgrade), i7-4650U (CPU+GPU upgrade) or i7-4610Y (energy economy upgrade). There are mSATA SSD's up to 1 TB, at least. It's trickier with RAM - according to CPU datasheet, it supports up to 8 GB RAM per channel, which means that if the board is designed for single-channel configuration, I can't go above 8 GB.  
      The idea can seem crazy, but with the computer enthusiasts doing various crazy things to their computers, I thought I'd give it a thought. After all, if there are people who think of such things, where should I find such individuals if not on SurfaceGeeks forums? I know for a fact that they do such things e.g. with Apple hardware, and I've talked to a manager from a local repair company that has experience with Apple hardware, but they have no experience with Surface (Pro) devices, and this is important. I'm still yet to find a company that does this kind of thing with Surface professionally.

What do you think?