RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual Box install breaks printer share

CURaven

after installing virtualbox my server couldnt share the printer on my network. freaked out I uninstalled virtualbox before I got a chance to install any VMs. That fixed my printer problem, but does anyone know what happened or what I did wrong or where else I should go to get started?

google didnt help me here.

Edited by CURaven

I presume you are using USB to connect the printer to the server?

Are you thinking VBox took over the USB ports? I got the impression that he is not trying to share the printer from inside VBox; more that he found VBox trashed his already exisiting share.

Could have been what network he chose to utilize. If done incorrectly it can commandeer - or at least significantly change - your LAN connectivity.

Guest no-control

Totally not trying to be rude, just helpful, but how about not using VBox? Basic trouble shooting would be to see if it doesn't it with other software. that will narrow it down to your system or VBox.

Try a different VM Solution and see if that solves the issue. VMWare Lite and VPC are both free.

Totally not trying to be rude, just helpful, but how about not using VBox? Basic trouble shooting would be to see if it doesn't it with other software. that will narrow it down to your system or VBox.

Try a different VM Solution and see if that solves the issue. VMWare Lite and VPC are both free.

I tend to agree. I find Server 2008r2 with Hyper-V much more intuitive than VB or VMware.

I think it all depends on which platform you initially learn your skills on. For me it has to be VMWare but I do see where Hyper-V is getting more intuitive.