RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Two servers, old and new old

Hey guys, I don't see my exact issue out there, so hears the question.

Can I load WHS2011 onto one pc (specs are fine) and still have my production V1 WHS on the same network?

I have the OS which I picked up at the price drop, and want to do some testing on an older PC before I even consider actually switching it to my current rig.

I believe the only limitation is both servers cannot back up the same PC, right?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes it can be on the same network and you are correct, you can't back up one pc to both servers, at least not an image back up.

Hey guys, I don't see my exact issue out there, so hears the question.

Can I load WHS2011 onto one pc (specs are fine) and still have my production V1 WHS on the same network?

I have the OS which I picked up at the price drop, and want to do some testing on an older PC before I even consider actually switching it to my current rig.

I believe the only limitation is both servers cannot back up the same PC, right?

Absolutely. Exactly with ITTOG said. One PC one backup, one connector software (without pain), and only one remote access. This will allow you to test most of what you need to, move stuff over before you pull the plug. Other than that, you can have as many servers as you want. I have had 4 at once with no issue

It's been covered before, but the trick to having both connectors installed is to uninstall the v1 connector, install the 2011 one, then install the v1 connector again. The 2011 connector checks to see if another connector is installed but the v1 connector doesn't :)

It's been covered before, but the trick to having both connectors installed is to uninstall the v1 connector, install the 2011 one, then install the v1 connector again. The 2011 connector checks to see if another connector is installed but the v1 connector doesn't :)

I see what i would gain from multiple connectors, but I don't HAVE to back up to a reliable source every night. I will back up my HTPC in V1 one final time then convert to 2011 and play that way for a while. I keep all my media on the V1 server anyway, so small risk.

Now, remote access to the 2011 server.... any issues there?

Good stuff so far guys thanks for the clarity!!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

This is true but you also have to uninstall an update that was rolled out. I don't remember the update number but diehard has posted it in the forums before. It just isn't worth the trouble in my opinion. If you really want it on two servers, I think the better option would be to back up to one server and then you AlwaySync or a similar program to sync the data between the two machines.

This is true but you also have to uninstall an update that was rolled out. I don't remember the update number but diehard has posted it in the forums before. It just isn't worth the trouble in my opinion. If you really want it on two servers, I think the better option would be to back up to one server and then you AlwaySync or a similar program to sync the data between the two machines.

yes, I forgot about that. Funny too, cause I use to have the KB # memorized :)