RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

There are file conflicts

TheGuy

Everyone,

I have a WHS V1 version running and recently got a "There are file conflicts" on three files from a DVD rip. I don't care for the files, but I am worried that maybe something is not right with disk or files etc...

I searched for a fix and did the :

1.) Reboot system

2.) Chkdsk process

3.) Shut-down system again.

4.) Other things that I could think of.

At this time I have no clue how to fix the three files, and I could delete the files and forget about it. But would like to tinker with this issue and see if I can recover the files which by the way are unreadable (unable to copy to other directory) or simply give up. I have the original DVD so no big deal.

Anyone with the magic bullet on this issue? Any special utility that I should of should not use? None seem to be fixing this item so far.

Also is there an easy way to find out on which disk the files would be residing on...since I have a 5 disk system. DE is great but...where would this file be? Hmmm.

any comments appreciated.

TheGuy

• 2 months later...

I had file conflicts, and made the mistake of not taking them seriously, as it was a load of old music files I let it go. Turned out my drive pool (DE) was starting to fail. Initially it was just the occassional file conflict, then last week Drive Manager (add in) showed the warning message that one of my drives was unhealthy.

Biggest problem turned out to be DE. It works well when all is well, when a drive starts to fail DE can be a nightmare. I had three drives in the pool and a spare slot. I bought a new drive 3TB for my whs 2011 box and swapped out a 2TB for the version 1box.

At this point DE failed, I could still access most of the files, but DE was unable to calculate the size of the storage pool. I added the 2TB drive without a problem. I then hit an unbeleivable problem, I could not remove my 1.5TB because the system was saying there was not enough space!, and there was no way to force whs to start migrating the data and remove the drive.

I did consider using folder duplication to get the server to shuffle the data on to my spare drive, but in the end yanked the drive and used sysntoy and goodsync to move the data over from the whs 2011 box, i am still working through all the file conflicts! My version 1 is a hot backup

I had file conflicts, and made the mistake of not taking them seriously, as it was a load of old music files I let it go. Turned out my drive pool (DE) was starting to fail. Initially it was just the occassional file conflict, then last week Drive Manager (add in) showed the warning message that one of my drives was unhealthy.

Biggest problem turned out to be DE. It works well when all is well, when a drive starts to fail DE can be a nightmare. I had three drives in the pool and a spare slot. I bought a new drive 3TB for my whs 2011 box and swapped out a 2TB for the version 1box.

At this point DE failed, I could still access most of the files, but DE was unable to calculate the size of the storage pool. I added the 2TB drive without a problem. I then hit an unbeleivable problem, I could not remove my 1.5TB because the system was saying there was not enough space!, and there was no way to force whs to start migrating the data and remove the drive.

I did consider using folder duplication to get the server to shuffle the data on to my spare drive, but in the end yanked the drive and used sysntoy and goodsync to move the data over from the whs 2011 box, i am still working through all the file conflicts! My version 1 is a hot backup

I suspect part of the problem is you didn't wait long enough for DE to resolve things; it can take quite a while sometimes.

I too have had these come up and I've had to delete and re-copy those files. This has happened even to files that are duplicated which is not very encouraging. What I did notice is that, for me anyway, this crops up if I let my drive space get too low. If the WHS starts to complain that free space is low start moving stuff off your server ASAP because this definitely will lead to file conflicts and other DE drive corruption. That I can tell you first hand. What I had thought was a bad drive turned out to be low disk space and DE. Not really DE's fault as it did warn me but something to take seriously when it happens. Another issue I've run into because of the above is I have one file that comes up as a conflict that I just can't delete. No matter how I try it tells me I don't have the rights to delete the file. Very strange but at this point I've just let that one file sit there.

If the WHS starts to complain that free space is low start moving stuff off your server ASAP because this definitely will lead to file conflicts and other DE drive corruption. That I can tell you first hand. What I had thought was a bad drive turned out to be low disk space and DE. Not really DE's fault as it did warn me but something to take seriously when it happens..

Kinda like sharp bends in the road where they put up a sign saying to take the curve at 30 mph and you always go 50, cause you know they're always overly cautious, until you hit that one where they really mean it :)