RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TV/media streaming PC-build advice

Server Grunt

Hi,

I am planning to build a small computer to handle TV-related tasks, including:

• Receive tv-signals (four external usb-cards)

• Distribute cards (with DVB-link) – 2-4 TV:s and up to 3-mobile units

• Record tv

• Clean out commercials

The capacity of the computer should be such as it can do all these tasks at the same time

Ideas and pre-requisites

• Placed in cupboard so it has to run cool – but also quiet (prefer fan less, but ultra quiet is acceptable)

• SSD for system drive

• Small/slim form factor

• Second/storage HDD can be external (usb 3.0)

• Headless and remotely managed

Any suggestions on HW and SW appreciated

//Grunt

Take a look at the closet PC write up. That should handle everything you asked for especially if you up the CPU a notch.

http://homeservershow.com/one-for-the-closet.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Server Grunt

• Josh Pollard

@PcDoc:That is a nice build. What is the noice level of it? Have you measured?

Did not measure it but with a quieter front fan it would rival any non-passive HTPC I have heard. You could use a different case such as the Lian-li for an even quieter approach but the rest of the hardware would be perfect (IMO) for what you want to do.

Ok,

Any particular lian-li case in mind

Also i have been looking into a CPU ans fans

CPU: 2405 vs 2500s vs 2500K - both for this partucular case and in general

Fans: Noiceblocker - Arctic or Nocturna? Which are best relationg to air movement, noice and ease of control?

Ok,

Any particular lian-li case in mind

Also i have been looking into a CPU ans fans

Fans: Noiceblocker - Arctic or Nocturna? Which are best relationg to air movement, noice and ease of control?

Before I recommend a case I want to mention that almost all small cases will not fit a full size heatsink. You should plan out your component and then fit the case to it. If you get a small case you will be very limited to what kind of heatsink.

OK - granted that what Lian-li case would you recommend in this case and again

In terms of cases, I am also looking at Shuttle SH67H3 and Lian-Li PC-Q08 .

The Shuttle has a fan cooled CPU heatsink that is cooled by the case fan (clever!) and I am thinking on switching the supplied fan for a ultra silent fan like Noiceblocker, Arctic, scythe or Nocturna.

In terms of cases, I am also looking at Shuttle SH67H3 and Lian-Li PC-Q08 .

The Shuttle has a fan cooled CPU heatsink that is cooled by the case fan (clever!) and I am thinking on switching the supplied fan for a ultra silent fan like Noiceblocker, Arctic, scythe or Nocturna.

Looks pretty cool just not sure how effective it will cool. Certainly is a clever way just do it if it works. The Lian LI should have a bit better air flow however you will be limited to heat sink sizes that doe not obstruct the PS. let us know what you decide.

Server Grunt,

I'm glad to see you're talking about having at least some fans in the box. I would be concerned about heat inside a closet. We had to do that for one particular situation at work and it was not pretty. Basically, it ended up we had to leave the closet doors open whenever the computer was powered up. Even then, it was pretty warm. If there is anything you can do to provide ventilation for the closet, I would do it. Just my 2 cents.

@Pcdoc - I will do a final websearch for reviwes and comparisons and then decide, both on box, cpu cooler and fans. Also, just to be sure, with PS you mean the PSU, or?

@Ikon - Yes, I have tried that to and that ended up in destroyed HDDs and damge components.

@ all - Actually this is a wall mounted cupboard and the doors are a little old and skewed sp they can not close properly, leaving room for air to vent. However, noice is an issue, so I want to find the most quiet set of CPU cooler and vent fans.

Edited by Server Grunt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      This was just posted at HPE a couple days ago -- I really like this video --

https://www.hpe.com/h22228/video-gallery/us/en/products/servers/459b9352-af92-4cc5-9701-870218f2a942/HPE-MicroServer-Gen-10-Hardware-Demo/video/

I'm checking out what's below the heat sink shortly....................
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Panos Panay just wowed the Microsoft crowd with two incredible hardware reveals. The first was the SurfaceBook i7 with a whopping 16 hours of battery life.  The second was Surface Studio. I dare you to call it an "All in One" after today.

I'll be chatting about all this gear on my new podcast, RESET. Find it here: mccabe.io

Surface Studio

The specs of Studio are impressive but visually it is stunning. It has 28" of wow that can be manipulated to however you prefer to create.

Screen: 28" PixelSense Display
      Resolution: 4500 x 3000 (192 DPI)
      Color settings: Adobe sRGB, DCI-P3 and Vivid Color Profiles, Individually color calibrated
      Touch: 10-point multi-touch
      Aspect Ratio: 3:2
      Surface Pen
      Zero Gravity Hinge
      Quad-core 6th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GPU GDDR5 memory or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GPU GDDR5 memory

It looks like a creative persons dream machine.  Apple picked a bad week to follow Microsoft when it comes to hardware reveals.  I personally would like to try the Studio and Dial with some video editing software.  I think it will be great for that.

Look at the Microsoft Store online for more photos.  It really is a nice looking Surface. Link Here.

Surface Book

The Surface Book is plain and simple; More.  More graphics and more battery.  It's a little heavier and starts at 3.6 pounds where last year's Surface Book was 3.3 pounds.  Maybe it's the new 6th Gen Intel Core i7 or the i7: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.  That's nice but Panos stated they just put in more battery!  It's nice to see that.  Adds a little weight but for those that want the battery life it's a welcome change.

Surface Dial
      The Dial is impressive.  It's compatible with any Windows 10 enabled PC, laptop, or tablet as long as it has the Anniversary Update.  Don't try this with your Surface Pro but it will stick to the screen of the Surface Studio!  It will have optimized off screen compatibility with Surface Book and SP4.

It's a jog dial on steroids and Panos and software partners demo'd many uses of it. Color wheel, zoom in, etc.  It's $99 and can be purchased now for delivery on November 10th.

Thanks for shopping with my links.  Maybe I can get one too!
    • barry
      By barry
      Hey so I'm a recent fan of the podcast and so far am having fun going through the old episodes and getting caught up on the discussion.  Lots to learn in the Home Automation world.  I'm a fairly competent hobbiest - i usually build my own PCs.  Going to be trying my hand at a laptop next once that one dies.  
      Ok to my problem.   We just moved to a new house with lots more space.  Yay!  The old place was a 1200 square foot place - little shoe box basically.  Now we're in 4600 sqft with 5 BR, a couple large living rooms, bed rooms spread all over, 3 car garage.  I'm starting to peel back the layers a bit to see what's under the hood and to my delight, I found that the builder ran CAT5e for the phone jacks (just twisted 2 pair and ignored the others).  I have COAX in most of the rooms as well (but not in the same locations and not all in the same rooms).  These all run from a central point in the basement utility room.  Those wires are all currently just banded together with very little organization.  The FIOS installer used a splitter to activate a few of the COAX runs and use a wall jack up in the living space to install the FIOS Router and a white COAX/Ethernet Bridge device.  I have an appleTV device, a PC computer with a wired/wireless networking capability, an XBOX360, a home theater system with only an ethernet port.  We also run a few iPhones and iPads through the house on the wifi.  
      I can handle the first couple steps but if anyone has suggestions on this please advise:
      1 - to have all the COAX set up in a box in the basement to distribute that data through the house.  We have about 15 cable runs through the house.
      2 - repurpose the phone jacks through the house to Cat5e network data jacks.  will require a punchdown rack mounted box in the basement sending signal out.  also will need new wall jacks and punchdown fittings.  On a few walls... I have a jack on one side of the wall that i would also like to have a live connection on the other side.  (i.e. the current run is to a bedroom, i'd like to keep the bedroom active as well as directly on the other side into that living space.
      Once I have this distribution solution in place is where i start to get a bit fuzzy.  The end state once im done is the following ideas:
      I would like to start to add Apple HomeKit devices throughout the house.  I'd like to be able to see all wired and wireless devices on the network.  I'd like to have flexibility to install wall mounted home control panels at the once main entry and perhaps in the kitchen.  Home Automation goals to include;  motion activated lighting.  Scene selected lighting.  Whole home audio.  Distributed AV to the TVs.  Locks.  exterior Cameras.  Interior cameras at entry doors, in the garage, basement utility room.  Water Sensors.  I would like to have a router in the basement utility room send data through the ethernet but also utilize the wireless router for the wifi - and have all that still able to talk to each other.  Most if not all the home automation hardware will be on the wifi but i might have cameras on the wired ethernet in some places - would just depend on layout etc.  
      I am at the very beginning stages of planning this out.  The only real commitment I have made is to the Apple HomeKit universe, which is entirely based on security and simplicity.  I would prefer to keep the number of required apps and software interface among the devices as low as possible.  I plan on adding the HomePod device as it becomes available.  Also for note... the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is a concern.